Vboa show now at sywell aerodrome

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Vboa show now at sywell aerodrome

Postby kriswalsh » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:58 pm

I hope no one booked hotels around billing as its changed again.
kriswalsh
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Vboa show now at sywell aerodrome

Postby vauxhallbitz » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:33 am

Sadly I did, very disappointed at this decision. The hotel at the new site is already fully booked.
1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby edgoose1 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:37 am

Why ? MH then billing now changed again
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:32 am

edgoose1 wrote:Why ? MH then billing now changed again

Because 'allegedly' five vauxhall clubs stated that they would leave the VBOA if we returned to billing. Also the vote on the two options for Billing went ahead and the result was split virtually down the middle so neither option was viable, it's a shame our government don't follow the same policy eh ;)

Anyway, some toys were thrown out the pram, and some other clubs had tantrums and instead of going back to Market Harborough cap in hand the VBOA decided on Sywell, without consulting anyone...because lets face it, they apparently tried that and it got them no where.

Did we, as club members, get a say in this? Or was it, as it seems, all closed doors on the whole decision making, If I missed the thread asking our opinion I'm sorry.... but I don't remember seeing it.

Personally I preferred Billing, Market Harborough was rubbish... a new venue could make all the difference, Facebook is going mad over it, and some really 'educated' ( ahem) comments are being bandied about, full of accusations and swearing etc.... It's a right old game :)

there is also talk of 'rebranding' the show to attract 'the general public' rather than it be just a 'club only' event....this in my opinion is just a shameless money making venture and will make the VBOA show less secure which in my opinion spells the end of it and all it stands for...but thats my opinion...I'll turn up to the show for a day, but I don't think i'll trust camping there if it is open to non club members....
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby BobbyMel » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:03 am

Tried to book Premier Inn outside Billing, checked prices, it was £90, then the next day when I went to book it, it had shot up to £212....hence I didn't book it, instead opted for a one 3 miles away, for £76. Thankfully it's only 10 miles from Sywel, so haven't wasted my money.
Last edited by BobbyMel on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
HB 368

1970 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....114 BOB
1969 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BDH819G
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BOB 33E
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....NHA 764F
1987 - Austin Montego 1.6L....E375 JRV
1995 - Rover 216 Coupe....N622 VOA
BobbyMel
Top Viva Spotter

Postby VampireTigger » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:46 am

I have relatives in Milton Keynes so may be able to make this. It's not as far north as I thought!
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:21 am

Am I looking at the wrong place? Surely anyone booking a hotel near Billing can still use it as Sywell Aerodrome isn't that far away? OK, if you intended to leave the car in place on the showground and walk to the hotel (is it that close?) that won't be possible, but it's not as bad as it sounds. I'm thinking as someone who, if I attend, drives down in the morning and home in the evening, so a 10-mile drive doesn't sound that bad to me.

I don't think club members get a direct vote on it (or any other VBOA vote for that matter) - it's down to each clubs VBOA rep to vote on behalf of the club, and you hope that the VBOA rep has a finger on the pulse of how those club members feel. In that way I guess it's no different that expecting your local MP to represent their constituents views in Parliament. I'd imagine the logistics of getting every club member to vote on each individual issue would mean that nothing would ever get decided. Don't forget that you can't limit that vote to club members who are on a forum, or those who are on Facebook - if you're going to open it to members, it has to be all members.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby edgoose1 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:56 pm

Just think it is all politics and what a shame,,,,, MH or Billing or somewhere else . i did prefer Billing but if it stayed at MH i would go and enjoy it. Just seems a lot of egotistic people in places where decisions are made that should not be there. perhaps a name change of the VBOA should be suggested :D anyway just looked at the new venue at it looks better than MH. at least they have somewhere you can have a decent poo )
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby vauxhallbitz » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:55 pm

It would appear that the hotel is not fully booked as I managed to book a room this morning so will be cancelling my hotel booking at Billing, let's hope it doesn't change again..........
1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby redfirenza » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:51 pm

I think the point to remember is all the VBOA staff are volunteers, unpaid and doing everything in their own spare time, to organise a show like the annual VBOA show takes up a lot of time over the whole year and not just the show dates

I think it needs supporting where ever the show ends up, if you don't like the way its run then join the team to help make changes!
redfirenza
SL Viva
SL Viva

Next

Return to General Discussion