1800 HC Rear Axle Parts Diagram

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

1800 HC Rear Axle Parts Diagram

Postby Icedmunkie » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:49 pm

Hello,

Has anybody got a picture of the 1800 Axle parts diagram?
I am trying to find out what nut is required to hold the flange the prop shaft bolts too. Tried several nuts but either too small or too big. A part number or size and thread would be equally as useful.

Unless anybody has one spare kicking about they don't need.

Thanks

Chris
All Smoke...... No Poke
Icedmunkie
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: 1800 HC Rear Axle Parts Diagram

Postby droopsnoot » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:44 pm

For the OHC axle:

NUT, special, universal joint flange: 7085400

It's the same on the OHV axle, if that helps.

I don't know what the thread is, sorry. I think it's marked special because it has a sleeve built in to it which is knocked into the groove in the axle pinion to stop the nut coming undone - I think this bit is shown in the Haynes manual, so that might show you what the nut looks like, even if it doesn't give sizes. It's something like a 1 1/4" socket, or maybe 1 1/8", could you measure the shaft to get the size?
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Kraken » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:30 pm

If it is the same as OHV as Mike says then I have a prop leaning up in the shed. I'll check if I have the nuts and bolts on it this afternoon
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Kraken » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:53 pm

Right this is from a 1970 HB OHV so I can't guarantee it's the same...

I assume the nut fits as per the second picture with the knurled sleeve sitting in the diff flange.
1/2" spanner fits nut and bolt.
Thread is 1/4" and looks to me like UNF
The nut also has an "8" stamped on it for some reason.

Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:28 pm

Oh, I didn't think it was those nuts and bolts, I was thinking it was the big nut that holds the pinion flange onto the front of the axle.

On the nuts you showed, they're a kind of self-locking nut, so I'd expect they sit as you have them in the first photo, with the knurled section furthest from the bolt head - I think they're a similar principle to Nyloc nuts. I'd normally fit them the other direction to the way you have them, with the bolt head closest to the diff and the nuts toward the front of the engine.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Kraken » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:19 pm

Hmm after re-reading I think you may be right Mike!

Yeah they maybe do go the other way. I'll find out when the prop goes on, the size of holes on the diff flange will give it away.

Afraid I can't help with the nut that bolts the flange to the diff, sorry!
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to General Discussion