Advice Clutch cable attachment and Brabham Throttle Bracket

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Advice Clutch cable attachment and Brabham Throttle Bracket

Postby OUL 735 L » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:05 pm

Good Evening All
Any advice on the following would be gratefully received.

In the pics you can see the hole in the bulkhead is too big for the clutch cable to be mounted.

Are there special washers/grommet to attach the cable to the bulkhead.

I have another pedal box with an extra bit on that sits behind the hole so the cable can be attached, but is knackered due to excessive wear to the holes where the big round bar goes through.

Can strip and remove my pedal box, weld the extra bit to my pedal box but if possible want to do it the easy way washers/grommet.

Also any advice on mounting a throttle bracket for Brabham carbs, linkages are present and attaching not a problem just need a bracket to secure the cable to

Thanks Ian
Attachments
unnamed3 resized.jpg
unnamed3 resized.jpg (32.64 KiB) Viewed 760 times
OUL 735 L
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Advice Clutch cable attachment and Brabham Throttle Brac

Postby OUL 735 L » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:07 pm

Another pic
Attachments
unnamed resized.jpg
unnamed resized.jpg (24.03 KiB) Viewed 756 times
OUL 735 L
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby OUL 735 L » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:08 pm

and another
Attachments
OUL 735 L
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:03 pm

The standard fitment is for the clutch cable to mount on the pedal box and not the bulkhead. This puts a lot of bending forces on the corner of the pedal box and causes it to fracture. A worthwhile modification is to fit a large washer over the cable so that the bulkhead takes the pressure and avoids damaging the pedal box.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:07 pm

the attached picture shows how the throttle linkage is fixed on the Brabham carbs on the HB - there is a bracket mounted on the centre stud holding the inlet manifold to the head which pivots the lever to operate the throttle - to operate on an HC with a cable operated throttle you could fashion a different bracket the you mount the adjuster outer of the throttle cable and connect the inner cable to the lever on the throttle shaft - so you would not need the levered shaft that takes the linkage to the bulkhead as shown in my picture. The length of the throttle cable required to connect may be a problem.
Attachments
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby OUL 735 L » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:20 pm

Good Evening

Yep think lengh of cable will be a problem

At the moment I have turned the linkage around so it leans backward and pulls towards the battery, am thinking If I put the pancake filters on I may be able to make a bridge across the two filters, drill a hole to mount the outer cable.

Was there a brabham bracket to mount on H.C.s that can be coppied or is it just trial and error?????

Ian
OUL 735 L
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:25 pm

The Brabham conversion was never sold for the HC AFIK. so it's a bit of trial and error before success!
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Return to General Discussion