Ebay bidding up?

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Ebay bidding up?

Postby Mike Attew » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:59 pm

I was watching a rusty Viva 1256 engine for sale on Ebay, when a bid came in there was another Ebayer started bidding in stages until they reached the other bidders max bid, this happened again an 1 1/2 hour before the listing ended, Strangely I was also watching a Marina engine from the same person and lo and behold, the same thing happend and it looked like the same bidder. He/she added another £185 on the Marina engine. Ebay seem way to slack with this and fraud but I suppose it's all about profits.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Ebay bidding up?

Postby 1972nail » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:05 pm

You just need to count how many times you see items sold for high prices then relisted hours later.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby VampireTigger » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:29 pm

Mike Attew wrote:I was watching a rusty Viva 1256 engine for sale on Ebay, when a bid came in there was another Ebayer started bidding in stages until they reached the other bidders max bid, this happened again an 1 1/2 hour before the listing ended, Strangely I was also watching a Marina engine from the same person and lo and behold, the same thing happend and it looked like the same bidder. He/she added another £185 on the Marina engine. Ebay seem way to slack with this and fraud but I suppose it's all about profits.

& most of the time you find they have fairly low eBay rankings.
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Mike Attew » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:58 am

This time though they had over 1500 and 100%. Most people I guess would miss it. I was just watch both engines and noticed odd bidding especially when 16 bids are entered by the same bidder on the trot bidding to the minimum increase one after another until they reach the previous bidders maximum and then stop.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:48 am

I think there's software that will do stuff like that automatically, though.

Not to say that "shill bidding" doesn't go on, but lots of small bid increases isn't necessarily a sign. I've lost track of eBay these days - when I first joined you could see who was bidding and how the bids were going, then they hid it all and you could only see the highest bid and the bidder wasn't revealed until the auction was over. Sounds like they've opened the information up again.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Mike Attew » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:04 pm

Sniping only puts one bid in up to your max, they do still hide other bidders but put a first and last letter and the star score which was the same on both items.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lord13 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:16 am

Mike Attew wrote:This time though they had over 1500 and 100%. Most people I guess would miss it. I was just watch both engines and noticed odd bidding especially when 16 bids are entered by the same bidder on the trot bidding to the minimum increase one after another until they reach the previous bidders maximum and then stop.

That's how ebay works with automatic bidding, say someone put a highest bid on an item of around £25, and that item is only at .99p , ebay will only show the initial .99p. until someone else tries to bid over it. So say bidder number two says 'ooo that item only has one bid on at 99p , i'll try my luck at a couple of quid', Ebay will automatically bid in small increments on the first bidders behalf to beat the second bidders bids, right up until the second bidder actually beats the initial £25 bid by the first bidder.

It's how it works . . . I don't see the problem . . .
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Mike Attew » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:55 am

lord13 wrote:
Mike Attew wrote:This time though they had over 1500 and 100%. Most people I guess would miss it. I was just watch both engines and noticed odd bidding especially when 16 bids are entered by the same bidder on the trot bidding to the minimum increase one after another until they reach the previous bidders maximum and then stop.

That's how ebay works with automatic bidding, say someone put a highest bid on an item of around £25, and that item is only at .99p , ebay will only show the initial .99p. until someone else tries to bid over it. So say bidder number two says 'ooo that item only has one bid on at 99p , i'll try my luck at a couple of quid', Ebay will automatically bid in small increments on the first bidders behalf to beat the second bidders bids, right up until the second bidder actually beats the initial £25 bid by the first bidder.

It's how it works . . . I don't see the problem . . .

Think you are wrong there, if the first bid is at 99p but up to £25 and you put a bid in of £24 it will bid £24 straight away, not keep bidding. If you put a bid in of £27 it will put one bid in to beat the first bid.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby VampireTigger » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:05 pm

Mike Attew wrote:
Think you are wrong there, if the first bid is at 99p but up to £25 and you put a bid in of £24 it will bid £24 straight away, not keep bidding. If you put a bid in of £27 it will put one bid in to beat the first bid.

Mike is correct.

I have been on eBay since six months prior to it's UK launch so have some experience with it ;)
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lord13 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:42 am

Mike Attew wrote:

Yeah......That's not what I said is it though....

Because you wouldn't immediately bid £24 to beat 99p would you, you'd try £1.25 and ebay would bid say £1.35 and so on...

But i'm probably wildly inaccurate and wrong you know, I wouldn't trust a thing I say :D

But in all reality..it's only ebay, nothing important,.....
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to General Discussion