Window seals

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Window seals

Postby ValentinoRoddy » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:57 am

Hi

I’m needing to take out the rear windows in my hc 2 door estate for welding does anybody know if you can get these window seals yet or have an alternative idea of what I could use?

I also need a seal for the boot window as it’s totally gone the entire way around, I was going to try fit a front seal to it if I can’t find anything else.

I’ve attached a picture of the window and hole needing welded

ValentinoRoddy
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Window seals

Postby HC Fairley » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:08 am

Try the Club parts. Here's a thread on the Firenza rear window but there are a few suppliers mentioned that may be able to help.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28343&hilit=Estate+window+seals
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:03 am

The big estate side glass is a problem in terms of rubbers. It's a complicate profile that varies along it's length, and a further complication is that it has an L-shaped cut in the lower profile to accept the window frame. I put some casting rubber on the outer surface of mine while they were out, to try to smooth over the worst of it, and it's worked in some parts but not in others. Whatever you do, don't cut the rubber out as some people advise.

The tailgate rubber is a problem in that the corners are a weird shape, a proper mould is expensive and there aren't enough around to make it worth a company making. I'm trying to do something with it but a bit limited on time at the moment, as the rubber in my hatch is terrible too.

That hole looks as if it's in the side of the tailgate hinge panel. That welds on top of the inner rear quarter window frame, from the rusty bits you can see between the top of the window frame and the bottom of the drip rail it looks like there might be an issue there too. It'll be hard to tell how extensive it is until the window is out. On the plus side, it's all repairable, mine was worse down both sides. It's fiddly, but possible.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 68 dave » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:27 pm

Hi try South East Kent supplies ,that's where I got my front and rear window seals and chrome trim for my 2 door saloon.
68 dave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:45 pm

Yes, EKT do make and sell front and rear saloon and coupe screen rubbers as they use a standard off the roll section common to a number of different makes.

But the side screen rubbers of all Viva models and the rear screen rubber from an HC estate are unique and complex and therefore require a selection of special moulds which cost thousands each..... that makes in not economically viable to manufacture for such a small market.

One estimate I heard was that to make and sell 50 HC rear screen rubbers and break even would require a profit of almost £400 on each one. The same or very similar economics would apply to each coupe, saloon and estate side screen rubber too.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby ValentinoRoddy » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:54 pm

Thanks for the advice,

I’ll going to try take the rear quarter windows out without cutting the seals as the rubber is in fairly good condition. For the rear window I’ll leave it and silicon it up the best I can.

I’ll post some pics and let you know how I got on once I’ve had a shot at it
ValentinoRoddy
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:46 pm

I cleaned the rear screen rubber on bro's Sports Hatch, which had a very poor rubber, and then repaired it with the black body kit adhesive below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BODY-KIT-SPO ... :rk:3:pf:0

I carefully built up all the missing and perished bits and allowed to cure over a period of a week or two. I then carefully sanded it to shape with 120 grit paper. Worked very well.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:27 am

I've had my rear quarter glasses out of the estate a few times, and it's a nerve-wracking experience even if you have a spare pair. I've always done it in a way that no glass fitter would advise, and removed the windows from the rest of the car, and my Firenza, in the same way.

On the way back in, I found the key thing is to push the back corner as far in as you can get it before trying to pull the rubber back through around the rest - hook the inside lip of the rubber around the body edge of course. But if you don't get it far enough into the corner, by the time you've got the rubber in place along the bottom and discover it's a little too far forward to clear the B pillar, there's so much rubber there that it won't move.

To replace, I used the "piece of cord" approach to pull the rubber in, but in several places I found that even a decent thickness of cord would slice into the rubber like a cheese wire. So back to plan A, a selection of little screwdrivers.

But take your time with it.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby ValentinoRoddy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:07 pm

Success! Took a couple of hours but got the window out with the seal and both are in 1 piece still, thanks for the advice

Lots of rust everywhere going to be a long job

ValentinoRoddy
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:25 pm

Oh, that brings back some memories.

At this point I'd probably remove the tailgate to reduce the weight pressing down on what's left of the top of the C-pillar. And take lots and lots of measurements as you cut things out.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Next

Return to General Discussion