Removing complete read end

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Removing complete read end

Postby 68 dave » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:28 pm

Hi want to remove the rear axle and upper,lower arms in one complete unit. The issue I may have is there is no engine or gearbox in the car at the moment, so how can I support the car safely at the rear as it looks like the axle stands can only be mounted in front of the rear lower arm mounts. This is the last thing to complete on the underside, then I can put the fully rebuilt running gear back in as engine was seized and needed a 10 ton press to get the pistons out .Can't wait to here this car run after 36 years. Has anyone got any ideas thanks dave.
68 dave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Removing complete read end

Postby mazzo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:49 pm

I did the same on a Magnum 100 years ago. We supported it on the rear jacking points.

What happened to the engine?
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:54 pm

This procedure might work -
Jack up axle and put on axle stands in front of lower trailing arm mounts and 2nd set of axle stands under axle
Disconnect rear shocks and springs from body and chassis
Undo connection of upper and lower arms from body.
Lift axle on trolly jack to enable removal of axle stands on the axle
Lower axle on trolly jack and roll out from under body
If you feel the front end is a bit light put something heavey in the engine bay like wheels or something or
could wait till you have the engine back in.
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby 68 dave » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:23 pm

Thanks it seems to be a good idea,as far as question of what happen to the engine. The piston s were completely stuck in the bores . The 1256cc engine has been fully rebuilt buy my self , the engine from factory has the biggest crank available and automatic big end shells even though the car is manual, I was very nervous as had to put end float in one side, considering I got new std shells from abroad probably the only set in the world. So fitted new oil pump,core plugs,timing chain,head set,water pump,stat housing basically everthing.
68 dave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:31 am

mazzo wrote:I did the same on a Magnum 100 years ago. We supported it on the rear jacking points.

Surely the rear jacking points are along the trailing arm, so they can't be used as they're coming out with the axle.

I had similar issues when the hatch was a bare bodyshell. In that case I put a piece of wood across the rear chassis rails near the back panel, another vertical piece down to a scissor jack. I stress, though, this was just while I was putting the rear axle back in place - once it was back in, I put stands under the axle. And to pass on advice I was given, don't use bricks for support, they're prone to giving way.

Another option might be to put some heavy stuff in the front footwells, to keep the front low. It's not as far forward as the engine bay, but it's easier to leave stuff in the floor. I guess it depends on whether the front suspension is in place or if that's also out.

One difference to my procedure is that you're removing the axle, so you might have a bit more pushing and pulling to do, so whatever you do needs to be stable. It's a very different thing when you're putting an axle back in, all the bolts are free, and so on. At the very least I'd undo all the bolts, one at a time, check that they come out of the bushes, then put them back, perhaps with a mark to show they've been freed off. I'd also completely release the two upper arms first, while you have stands under the rear axle, leaving only the front of the lower arms to be done when it's all got a bit less support in it. While you're working to release the lower arms, you're right next to the axle stands on the chassis rails, so there's no chance of getting a surprise.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 68 dave » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:13 pm

Thanks mike good advice
68 dave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby mazzo » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:35 pm

Oh, I thought this was the 1600. :roll:
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:03 pm

100 years ago...!!! my god Maz you're a lot older then I thought

pbottomley

Postby 68 dave » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:49 pm

Mazzo i have two viva s ,you are correct one is a 1.6 the other one is a 1256 2 door 1975 which I rescued from a garage last year it has sat there since 1983 when the owners husband died. Hopefully get the engine back in this year as I have rebuilt it as in previous posts. Forgot to say I put no piston s in as other ones were damaged when pressing them out.
68 dave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby mazzo » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:10 am

Ah, that explains it. The 1600 is a very nice car.

Good luck with the work.

Paul, I am not actually that old but I am indeed a time traveller. I still have that hat but threw the gloves away when I used them whilst doing an oil and filter change. Couldn't get them clean again. Don't tell everyone or they'll end up in a lab somewhere........ :lol:
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to General Discussion