brabham manifold on a HC

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

brabham manifold on a HC

Postby edgoose1 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:46 pm

The HC Viva i have has a Brabham manifold on it. Looks tight to fit the pancake air filers on it. Has anyone tried to fit air filters on a HC with the twin strombergs ? The carbs were refurbished and they do run well but would prefer to fit some sort of air filters. Alternatively if these carbs are wanted by anyone let me know as i have a DCD webber manifold that i can replace it with
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: brabham manifold on a HC

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:00 pm

Pancake filters should clear the bonnet I would have thought - they clear on the HB but maybe the engine is lower with respect to the bonnet that the 1256 in the HC. Also there are twin strommies on the slant 4 in the HC and that has a dual air filter box - again its a case of engine mounting 1256 to OHC engine.
Attachments
HC air filters.jpg
HC air filters.jpg (12.49 KiB) Viewed 1284 times
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby edgoose1 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:11 pm

Not seen that diagram before
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:54 am

Out of the HC parts book
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby OUL 735 L » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:50 pm

Good Afternoon All

I have filter problems myself, same set up, brabham carbs on a 1256 HC.

The rear filter is the problem as it is fouled by the servo, you may be able to forced on but no gap to allow for engine rock,

I am thinking to move the filter up by cutting out the part of the filter and holes that attaches to the carb, then a cut and shut job to another filter backplate to lift the filter about an inch, hopefully not catching on bonnet when it is put on, will need a plate fabricating to mount the throttle cable, but not got that far yet. been putting all this off for ages trying to think of an easier way.

Wondering if a HB servo would sort the problem and look right

Regards

Ian
OUL 735 L
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:15 pm

Don't think there is any gain from the HB Servo unit it is very similar to the HC one - on the later HC with a single strommie there is a right angle pipe which allows the oval plastic filter box to be used - is there any mileage in that - I will have a look at the on my estate
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:39 pm

That's not going to work :oops:

What is the gap between the back carb flange and the servo?
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby lord13 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:35 am

Although the brabham manifold is a nice bit of kit and is a nice change to the usual set up on a HC, I'd remove it and fit the weber. Or jut run without filters... if you feel you must have a filter of some sorts to prevent ingress of airborne rubbish, you could use a simple fine mesh plate over the mouth of the carb. Or even a short trumpet with a foam filter? Carbs without filter do have an 'unfinished' look about them in my humble opinion. Fit the weber, It'll look great...but make sure its jetted and adjusted up correctly, I remember fitting one in the past that drained my tank very very quickly :(
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby OUL 735 L » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:43 pm

Hi All

Bought the carbs years ago for my HB, was going to put a 1256 in, but it runs spot on with a single stromberg, so thought I would leave it alone.

I recently bought the Nikki twin choke carb from ebay, maybe one day for the HB

I am in the process of doing a 1256 Firenza and want a few period mods, have twin downpipes with the oval flange on the manifold, The twin carbs, and will be fitting door mirrors, Holes in the wings welded up,

Regards

Ian
OUL 735 L
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby edgoose1 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:24 pm

My car is away being paintd but when back will look again. Yes as Mitch said wire mesh over the carbs help , which is what is there now. But looks unfinished without filtesr in my opinion.
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to General Discussion