Making the best of a bad situation – Thoughts?

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: Making the best of a bad situation – Thoughts?

Postby OllieParkes » Tue May 28, 2019 9:46 pm

Hi all,

I'm afraid that although I tried, I didn't make it in the end. The viva ended up broken down after a few miles and had to be pushed to safety. I'll definitely be trying to go to at least 1 show with the car like this before I paint it however.

The viva had an issue with it running lean and knocking under load. I tried to remedy this by re-setting up the carb (Weber 32 ICT) but without success. I found that tuning both the mixture and jet screw had little to no effect on the rpm. I suspect a dodgy diaphram or blocked jet, but am not sure. Does anyone know what the problem is? All spark plugs are new, and the carb hasn't been rebuild since it was sitting for 10 years.
OllieParkes
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Making the best of a bad situation – Thoughts?

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue May 28, 2019 10:25 pm

knocking under load is a problem with bad timing usually - have you checked the timing? also check that vacuum advance tube is not split or disconnected from the carb.
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Previous

Return to General Discussion