Keep getting an error message

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: Keep getting an error message

Postby 1972nail » Wed May 22, 2019 9:44 am

droopsnoot wrote:
Mike Attew wrote:Trying to post in mechanical but keep getting an error message?

What did the error message say?

Simply 'Error 403' and the red Vauxhall Griffin before reloading the home page.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby droopsnoot » Wed May 22, 2019 9:49 am

Cheers - I figured I could find out by copy/pasting the three paragraphs into a single reply and previewing it, and found the Error 403, as you say. Removing the final paragraph allows it to post.

I had a look at various phpBB error things and they suggest a problem with a key word in the post, and to keep halving it to narrow down which word it is. But it must be something else, as you could post all the same words in individual posts.

It can't just be length of post, as there are some much longer posts in the build threads, and in fact this post isn't much shorter. I'm sure Paul will be able to find the issue.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Kraken » Wed May 22, 2019 10:36 am

Yes I found this the other week but never got round to reporting it!

I was posting the the cars for sale section on my iPhone.
I think i successfully posted the exact same message from my PC though so perhaps something on the mobile side of things?
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed May 22, 2019 12:35 pm

I'm posting from a PC, so it's not a mobile-vs-PC thing. IE11 here.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Mike Attew » Wed May 22, 2019 1:34 pm

I was also using a PC. This is a brain teaser then and not my lack of PC skills. :D
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Kraken » Wed May 22, 2019 10:10 pm

Strange...

If it helps at all, the message I couldn’t post was the one in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=312&t=29067
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Fri May 24, 2019 4:35 pm

I am here, sorry folks been away for a bit... 403's could be down to using banned words (yes we have a banned words list in the background) due in some part to one user about 10 years ago who was just a constant pain in the clubs side. His name will remain private but be assured Ian is no longer part of the club...

If your post is a long one and takes too long to write the forum can time out and crash, so maybe write it in notepad then paste it in, to see if thats the cause?

I will have a look at the swear word dictionary
pbottomley

Postby Mike Attew » Fri May 24, 2019 4:45 pm

I tried pasting it, it still came up with an error but the same text in 3 seperate postings was ok so no word was a banned word. It just would not post all together?
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Fri May 24, 2019 5:30 pm

gonna sound daft, but there is a limit of 6000 characters per post? its not that long a post (including spaces remember)
pbottomley

Postby droopsnoot » Fri May 24, 2019 6:25 pm

I copy/pasted the three separate messages into notepad, then copy/pasted them into the forum when I was trying to see if it would fail, so it shouldn't be a time-related thing for my test, I just hit 'reply', then Ctrl-V in the text box, then 'preview', and got a 403 straight away. I don't think the three posts total 1000 characters, never mind 6000 - I'm sure there have been much longer posts in projects and so on. For me, the third paragraph was an issue - if I removed that, it would post the first two. I didn't try posting just 1 and 3, or just 2 and 3, so didn't narrow it down all that much.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion