Spring top mounts??

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Spring top mounts??

Postby steve_1984 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:46 am

So I've just bought a set of new springs all round for my HB, but I want to change the rubber top mounts while I'm there.

Does anyone know a supplier? I was told the Jenson Healey stuff was the same but only for ohc cars and mines an 1159.

I need front and rears, thanks
1968 HB Deluxe :D
steve_1984
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Spring top mounts??

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:50 am

I don't think anyone does rear top mounts any more, which is a pity given how many people do the others. I've considered making a mould off a decent one I have here, but casting suspension-related stuff is a whole different ball game to making wheel centres and decals and the like.

While it's true that Jensen Healey stuff is OHC, the inner diameter of the OHV spring vs the OHC spring is almost identical, perhaps 1-2mm in it, so you'd probably be OK, perhaps having to slice a little off the outer diameter of the rubber to make it fit.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby steve_1984 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:20 pm

Ok thanks, just ordered the front ones.
People have said before about nova/corsa springs so I might have a look and see if those top mounts can be used.
steve_1984
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby steve_1984 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:26 pm

Got them today and tried them on the new springs and it seems they are quite a loose fit!
The outer diameter is the the same as the springs but the inner diameter, where the springs will be sitting on is a little bit out!
steve_1984
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:31 pm

That's strange, when I got some they were a very tight fit and needed to be stretched over the subframe mounting.

ETA - now I read it again, it might be that when you've fitted them on the subframe, the stretch there will bring them out to where the spring is a snug fit.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to General Discussion