Round headlight conversion

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Round headlight conversion

Postby Mike Attew » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:35 pm

A bit of curiosity at present, I have been asked and seen talk about converting from the rectangle headlights to twin round lights on an HC. I was talking to a really nice guy the other week called Gary about this and it sparked an interest in me.

What is actually involved?
Has anybody got pictures?,
Is there any cutting involved?
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Round headlight conversion

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:17 pm

the critical part is the mounting plate interface which allows you to mount the twin lights where the rectangular light are mounted - a fabrication exercise :!:
Also there is a modification to the connections to the twin lights + you need indicator/side light assemblies to replace the indicator assembly - another challenge to find those :roll:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby 1972nail » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:29 pm

Some have found that they can adapt C@pri headlight backing plates to suit and use outer lights with the sidelight included. AFIK it is a reversible conversion. However, I personally think a nice unmolested Viva with original rectangular headlights is a nice car. Fit an SL grille or paint the original delux one black if you want a change but keep it original.

Fitting twin round headlights really is very much the thing to do, but if the original rectangular headlights were good enough for a GT40 then they are good enough for a Viva. :lol:

As far as painting the original one black is concerned I would try to make it look a bit like the HB GT grille and retain the bright metal border and paint the complete centre section black including the middle upright 'V' bit. A subtle little bright badge on the lower passenger side would complete the look.

Probably the Delux grille will lend itself better to painting than the SL grille in the picture below as you could get a thinner silver border.

Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:18 pm

I agree with you there David but if you are going the twin light way you will need the twin light grill or insertions :wink:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Mike Attew » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:34 pm

I find all of this interesting. David, in amongst the bits I have is a grill with black inserts. It just needs a clean but is this an SL grill you are talking about? Several different looks you can have.
Attachments
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:38 pm

Yes, that is an SL grille.

I'm not a fan of twin round headlights hence my use of only two.

As you can see I've blacked out the centre section and dropped the badge a inch or so.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Mike Attew » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:29 am

I had a Talbot Express I converted from rectangle to single round headlights. The main reason I did this is they had a better light pattern at night which showed up the road better and they did look better.

Your car does look very good with the singles.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:23 am

Mike Attew wrote:Your car does look very good with the singles.

Thanks, to be honest.....When it came to the end of the build I couldn't afford buy 2 more headlights.... :wink:

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby HC Fairley » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:01 pm

1972nail wrote:
Mike Attew wrote:Your car does look very good with the singles.

Thanks, to be honest.....When it came to the end of the build I couldn't afford buy 2 more headlights.... :wink:

I heard you went singles because you didn't want the car looking too standard..... :shock: :D
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby VampireTigger » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:25 pm

I’ve converted my rectangular light cars to LED so they are great for night driving now. Sport Hatch is candle
Powered in comparison
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to General Discussion