Black and Silver number plates

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: Black and Silver number plates

Postby 1972nail » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:16 pm

Our Minor, my father's 69 and 72 Maxis, my 70 and 72 Vivas and my 72 Firenza all had reflective plates from new. So any argument that they weren't common until 73 doesn't really ring true.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:30 pm

thomas wrote:I should have read Fred's link before commencing rant. A cut-off of 1975 isn't too bad, it's still wrong though for M, N and P reg. cars.

Don't forget that link is to a blog post that was written in 2015, and therefore the cut-off of 1975 was when the historic cut-off was. It has since moved on. It also wouldn't be the only DVLA blog post that isn't accurate - the DVLA blog was where they said that a car that fails an MOT cannot be driven until the faults are fixed, regardless of whether the old MOT still has some time to run. That was only the case if the car had a "dangerous fault" on it.

The 1973 date is when they became mandatory for all new cars.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:24 pm

It is a bit difficult to interpret the DVLA rule - which was made in 2015 and defined the cut off at1975 however it goes on to imply that is rolls with the 40 year Historic Vehicle cut off - the Footman James article in Practical Classic says vehicles with "historic vehicle" tax classification can have black and silver plates!
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Johnboy HB » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:24 pm

Reflective plates were introduced sometime in 1967 but didn't start to become popular until 1968/9, presumably dealers used up the old stock first, British Leyland were still using white/silver characters on black background for their advertising up to about 1972
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:53 pm

Going back to Rizzo's post, Jepsons do a good range of authentic classic number plates, I had some from there for my estate & am quite pleased with them
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:14 pm

Well the number plate recognition story was in the Daily Mail so it must be true :wink:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailym ... rkets.html

And the Telegraph

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegr ... gnise/amp/

This article in Classics World is quite good.

https://classicsworld.co.uk/news/older- ... sing-anpr/

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:24 pm

Now that we've had a discussion about this interesting subject do any of you guys want to put pen to paper and write an article for the Autumn edition of ReVival? Submission date is 1 August....

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:15 pm

Leaflet INF104 is the thing to refer to: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... inf104.pdf

This latest version (published March 2020, I think) first of all says:

"Vehicles manufactured after 1 January 1973 must display number plates:
• made of a reflective material
• with a white background at the front of the vehicle and a yellow background at the back of the vehicle
• with black letters and numbers."

And then a bit later on says:

"Vehicles made before 1 January 1973 may display traditional ‘black and white’ number plates (for example, white, silver or grey characters on a black plate). From April 2020 vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1980 are also able to display traditional ‘black and white’ number plates. You must:

• have applied to DVLA
• be registered within the ‘historic vehicles’ tax class

The 40-year exemption date rolls forward automatically each year on 1 April. "
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:51 pm

Cheers Mike that adds some clarity to it - they are not very good at making it totally clear - as you say - one place it says cut off is 1973 0n another place it say 1975 (and that was published in 2015! why can you still see it they should have removed it when it was superseded by the 2020 publication - and then in that publication it say it rolls with the 40 year Historic Vehicle rule :? :?
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby 68 dave » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:27 pm

Yes, discount motor spares in Leigh on sea, I know this as I am the manager. We do chrome and black which are on one of my cars or silver and black. Will sort you out a price in the next couple of days. We also mix paint. Dave hc692 :D
68 dave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Previous

Return to General Discussion