Engine code

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Engine code

Postby Chris Van Man » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:47 pm

Does anyone know the engine code for a 1982, 1256cc HA van, i'm confused between engine number and engine code
Many thanks

Chris.
Chris Van Man
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Engine code

Postby Chris Van Man » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:14 am

I have now found out it is either 13D or LW4 anybody have any ideas please.
Chris Van Man
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:31 am

I take it you've looked through this section: http://www.vauxhallviva.com/?page_id=126
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Chris Van Man » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:52 am

Hi, yes i did check that section out, thanks anyway.
Chris Van Man
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:38 am

As your van is 1982 the engine would be from the Chevette engine source as Vivas were out of production by then.
Cant see any reference to engine code in any of the Haynes manuals either HA Van or Chevette - if you want an HA Van Haynes Manual I have one spare if interested.
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Chris Van Man » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:26 am

I have a Haynes manual, but thank you so much for the offer, the reason i needed the code i was trying to buy a sump gasket off ebay and they asked for an engine code, they suggested one of the 2 numbers above, so i will take a chance and take a guess, thanks for all your help.
Chris Van Man
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:40 pm

I do a remanufactured sump gasket set for OHV engines - one fits all as far as I know - £15.50 delivered
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby pbottomley » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:51 pm

1057 1150 and 1256 engines of any version use the same sump gasket, so that the Viva HA, Viva HB, Viva HC (with an OHV engine) as well as all the OHV chevettes and 1300 Mk1 Cavs.

its the same casting just diff bores and strokes.
pbottomley

Postby pbottomley » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:02 pm

Chris Van Man wrote:I have now found out it is either 13D or LW4 anybody have any ideas please.

Both these numbers refer I think to much later engines which were never used in the Classic Viva?

The LW4 I think refers to the Z12XE which is an Opal 1200cc ecotec engine as fitted to a Corsa

The 13D I think refers to the A13DTE engine code which is a 1300cc Opal engine as fitted to Astras

Sounds like you may have a "less experienced" shop that doesn't know what they are looking for, very common, best you contact Fred Dukes and take him up on his offer of a sump gasket kit, that way you have a fighting chance.
pbottomley

Return to General Discussion