Information

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: Information

Postby Alfie-G » Mon May 11, 2020 12:51 pm

Good seatbelt info’ and something to look into. What fuel additives do daily drivers recommend?
Alfie-G
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Mon May 11, 2020 3:32 pm

Drove mine daily for 2 years and used whatever lead substitute was on the shelf in my local autoparts. REDEX, STP and Carlube were a few brands I can remember.

I only threw it in every now and again, maybe every 5th tank , you don't have to be too strict about it, especially if it is only going to be a weekend or summer car.
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon May 11, 2020 6:26 pm

For the OHV engine you don't need an octane boost substitute so you can save a bit there. As HC Fairley says you don't really have to be too strict about lead replacement as valve seat recession doesn't appear to be as big a problem as was originally made out, a bit like the Millenium Bug. Certainly consider getting the cylinder head fitted with hardened valve seats for peace of mind. My experience of running a Morris Minor since 1989 on the same basis as HC does with his car suggests that you should only consider conversion when the cylinder head needs to be rebuilt anyway. Our Minor has done in excess of 30K miles since leaded petrol became unavailable and it's cylinder head still doesn't need rebuilt.

Some people suggest using Super Unleaded in their engines and certainly, on the later post 74 OHV cars with the increased compression ratio, that is worth considering, but again your own trial will give you a good idea of what is best for you.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby VampireTigger » Wed May 20, 2020 9:47 pm

1972nail wrote:Some people suggest using Super Unleaded in their engines and certainly, on the later post 74 OHV cars with the increased compression ratio, that is worth considering, but again your own trial will give you a good idea of what is best for you.

Unless you adjust the timing to the two star setting super unleaded does make the car run better. I had all sorts of pinking and overheat issues in my 1256 on standard unleaded. The other thing is the standard is going to be further polluted with Ethanol when it's bumped from 5% to 10%. Super unleaded will remain 5% and thus kinder to older cars.
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Wed May 20, 2020 10:43 pm

Perhaps I am being cynical but I always wondered, how can you guarantee you are getting super unleaded at the pump and not the same standard stuff but 4 or 5 pence a litre dearer?
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu May 21, 2020 9:08 am

It's called 'Trading Standards'.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Thu May 21, 2020 9:13 am

You could buy ordinary unleaded and add your own octane boosting lead substitute. It will cost about the same or to a bit less than buying super unleaded.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby HC Fairley » Thu May 21, 2020 11:07 am

1972nail wrote:It's called 'Trading Standards'.

Still plenty of crooks out there though :angrywife:

Anyway, I've never put super unleaded in my 1256 and haven't had any problems. Just a dash of lead substitute every now and again to keep her sweet :goodideasign:
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Thu May 21, 2020 1:51 pm

Not exactly sure about your part of the world but I only use Shell Gold (super unleaded?) in my car (and lawnmower) not because of octane but because it has no ethanol. In my experience ethanol gums things up.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Previous

Return to General Discussion