Viva HB Front and rear screen rubbers

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: Viva HB Front and rear screen rubbers

Postby rizzo » Fri May 22, 2020 8:04 pm

Thanks for taking the time to post this James, always good to get some feedback, like you say it looks ok from where i,m sitting but its clearly not good enough. I think Colin is the next one on the to list to renew the seals lets hope he has better luck with his choice.
I almost sure now i will get my screens and window runner seals from Rare spares, as Adrian states they are made from the original moulds not sure if this is correct or not.
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:14 pm

rizzo wrote:Thanks for taking the time to post this James, always good to get some feedback, like you say it looks ok from where i,m sitting but its clearly not good enough. I think Colin is the next one on the to list to renew the seals lets hope he has better luck with his choice.
I almost sure now i will get my screens and window runner seals from Rare spares, as Adrian states they are made from the original moulds not sure if this is correct or not.

That's no problem. A while ago, I did find Information on some forums, that the rubbers from rare spares are made to the original spec. I recall a chap in Australia, who purchased the whole rubber seal kit, at something like $1200 and said every thing fit a treat.
The reason I stayed away from them, was the cost of postage. It was the same for the panels as well, as you could get floor pans and boot floor panels, plus many others.. it's just the post and import duties, that knock the stuffing out of you
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Mon May 25, 2020 2:17 pm

Well.. I'm well and truly peed off... i thought the front screen was bad! look at the picture below.. i have already cut 5" out of the bottom part of the screen rubber and you can still see the bottom part over laps by 2"! and look at the top.. it needs about the same amount cutting out :angrywife: what company thinks its a great idea to have a screen that needs the rubber cutting in two places :angrywife: it's a complete joke and i've never felt so let down in all my life... Anyone one and everyone, stay clear from that place who i used!

I'll also add.. the rubber only just covers the body, don't let the picture deceive you.
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby rizzo » Mon May 25, 2020 8:24 pm

jamezz666 wrote:
rizzo wrote:Thanks for taking the time to post this James, always good to get some feedback, like you say it looks ok from where i,m sitting but its clearly not good enough. I think Colin is the next one on the to list to renew the seals lets hope he has better luck with his choice.

That's no problem. A while ago, I did find Information on some forums, that the rubbers from rare spares are made to the original spec. I recall a chap in Australia, who purchased the whole rubber seal kit, at something like $1200 and said every thing fit a treat.
The reason I stayed away from them, was the cost of postage. It was the same for the panels as well, as you could get floor pans and boot floor panels, plus many others.. it's just the post and import duties, that knock the stuffing out of you

Mmmm not sure about all fitting, the boot seal is different and the rear quarters may be an issue, ive spotted bad feedback on them.
Yeh thats the only drawback, getting them back to blighty in a cost effective manner.
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby rizzo » Mon May 25, 2020 8:34 pm

jamezz666 wrote:Well.. I'm well and truly peed off... i thought the front screen was bad! look at the picture below.. i have already cut 5" out of the bottom part of the screen rubber and you can still see the bottom part over laps by 2"! and look at the top.. it needs about the same amount cutting out :angrywife: what company thinks its a great idea to have a screen that needs the rubber cutting in two places :angrywife: it's a complete joke and i've never felt so let down in all my life... Anyone one and everyone, stay clear from that place who i used!

I'll also add.. the rubber only just covers the body, don't let the picture deceive you.

This isnt good, i do wonder why nobody has said anything uptil now, maybe previous buyers have not got to fitting them. I feel your pain this is not acceptable so that makes me wonder what East Kent trim are selling as i believe their rear is also a cut jobby.
I hope you leave some well earned feedback for the seller, might be an idea to post on the Facebook groups aswel.
I hope you can find a solution to this.

Just had a look, yup cut and shut. ("One piece screen rubber which does require a cut and shut to it. Takes an insert (available seperately").
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:23 pm

Right an update.

The rear screen rubber is completely wrong! its shaping internally is wrong. It doesn't fit over the screen enough and it doesn't go over the lip of the body enough.

The rear screen rubber was cut too size on the rear screen out of the car (perfect). When said rubber is put into the car with no screen fitted, at the cut ends of the rubber, they then over lap each other by 2 inch! please see image and hopefully what i'm saying makes sense. Basically these rubbers are more like universal rubbers, that you have to cut in half and shut them back together for which ever car.

Now you can see by there advert that other owners have bought these rubbers and to take a guess at why they haven't left bad feedback, is probably because they left it more than a month too try fit it... here it comes... *drum roll*... eBay now will not allow you too return an item/leave feed back for an item/ anything you want too do via ebay with said item after 30 days!!! there's no options after 30 days!

I've messaged the company to say if they want to have a screen fitter of their choice, too come fit the screen and if it fits i'll cover all costs, but if it doesn't fit they cover the costs and offer me a refund, otherwise i'll be going to trading standards and contacting my credit card company with screen shots of the advert, stating that the front screen rubber fits perfect (which it didn't even though it's now in with damage) and the rear screen rubber has too be cut and shut, but in reality has too be cut in half and shut and the rubber doesn't fit anyway. I'm more than angry :angrywife: i don't think i've ever felt so frustrated in all my life, after all... i've lost work hours over this/ £101 for rubbers that are wrong and a company so ignorant, they haven't replied to my last message.

In the pictures with the glass in, you can clearly see in order to get the internal rubber over the lip, you would have to pull it over about about 10mm worth of lip and in attempting that.. you end up pulling that much rubber that the outside starts too come off. Hard too explain, but hopefully the pictures tell the story.

jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:08 pm

Another update.

The reason why the rear screen rubber will not fit, is the rubber is so poorly made and not made properly.
Now.. after hours of experimenting (I know I said in the previous message about having the screen rubber company send a screen fitter out ect ect) but I found that there is 2 main faults in the rubber, that prevents fitting. In the picture I have marked where the screen fits and the other arrow points to a bridge in the rubber. That bridge stops the screen sitting in the rubber properly and leaves the rubber over hanging top bottom and sides 10mm over, so it will simply not fit unless removed. Now the next part... the two bottom corners don't have that bridge, they're just bulked out with rubber, that when the screen is inside the rubber, the corners of the screen pushes the corners out that far, each corner over hangs half inch. So I've started cutting the excess material out and the bridge and so far it looks like it's doing the trick. I'll be attempting to fit the screen tomorrow, after modifying the rubber and I'll keep everyone posted. But I highly advise no one buy these rubbers!

2014 hyundai genesis 3.8 r spec 0 60
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:45 pm

Update again

In the pictures i got 3/4 of the screen in and i have heavily modified the rubber (butchered it) to try get it too fit and it still wouldn't, until i came across the last problem of the day, stopping the screen going in.

so following on from my last post of what needs modifying, in both bottom corners there is roughly 5mm of raised solid rubber, which doesn't allow the screen to drop low enough in the corners of the rubber, so i had to make a sharp tool too dig the corners out as seen in the picture below. now.. since removing the bridge as mentioned in the last post and digging the corners out, the screen was 3/4 of the way in. As you can see the screen is trying so hard to pop out from the rubber all round.

The final problem with this rubber is the rubber lip that goes over the body lip is not deep enough. In the last couple pictures i took a piece of metal bar and stuck it into the lip of the original screen rubber, wrapping a piece of tape around the metal showing where it stops and then i stuck the metal bar into the new rubber and you can see the depth of the new rubber is miles off from the original rubber, so the new screen rubber lip will not go over the body lip as much as the old screen rubber lip would do. i left the new screen rubber in, only at the bottom part of the screen as seen in the pictures and i took a picture of the top part of the screen now wresting in place in the body and as seen in the pictures, the top of the screen is touching the top part of the body where the rubber seats. This is a hard thing too explain :lol: just hope everyone understands what i mean by the pictures! i took a fair few too show how bad the rubbers are.

Tomorrow i'll be trying to modify the lip of the rubber, and if i succeed then the screen should be in ok, but i will say now.. since doing these endless hours of modifying, the rubber seal has gotten a lot weaker, from removing so much rubber, just to make it fit.

jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:57 pm

Final update

Right so i went through all this hassle modifying the rubber, to show that classic car seals rubbers are not fit for purpose. As seen in the pictures below, the screen is now fitted with the rubber, but it's still wrong as the screen is trying it's hardest to pop outwards. All around the rubber on the outside, where the rubber lip is meant to be touching the glass, is a big gap. The gap is that big a £1 coin just slid straight down to the lower scuttle and it took a £1 and a 50p to fill the gap between the rubber and glass. Also while fitting.. the right hand corner which the rubber is meant to cover the chrome corner trim, had a fault in the moulding of the rubber, which i've taken a picture of showing the rubber not holding down the trim.

So i'm currently waiting to hear back from Rarespares in Australia and i'll be ordering from them, as after all this wasted time and nearly £101 in the bin ( is say nearly as i finally got the front fitted) , i can only advise to spend a bit more money and buy the stuff from rarespares. hopefully my write up will prevent people from being tempted to buying these rubbers. I'm not 100% sure if East Kent Trim are selling the same rubbers.

James

jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Colin » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:31 am

Thanks very much for this James. You've provided a real service to the rest of us with this detailed account of the issues with these rubbers. Whatever car these rubbers are designed for it certainly isn't Viva HB. The profile looks a lot more complex than the relatively simple HB Viva OE rubber profile.

I'm kicking myself that I threw out the old rubbers from my car. It would have been useful to compare the original rubbers' profile with the Classic-Car-Seals one you've kindly provided.

I have an East Kent Trim Supplies rear cut and shut rubber to fit. I will post up a picture of the profile for comparison before I try to fit it and let you know how I get on.
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion