E10 fuel introduction

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: E10 fuel introduction

Postby Mike Attew » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:01 pm

Just my pennies worth, I don't like a car that starts on the key, I would rather it turn over a few turns and then start to get the oil moving if it moves. lol
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby edgoose1 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:10 pm

Mike Attew wrote:Just my pennies worth, I don't like a car that starts on the key, I would rather it turn over a few turns and then start to get the oil moving if it moves. lol

Thats true especially with classic cars
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby GTpete » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:50 pm

Do we have anyone in the Petroleum trade that can confirm BP Ultimate or Shell Advance fuels do not contain Ethanol?

Asked my local service station...you can guess the answers!
GTpete
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:26 pm

At the moment, the quickest way to check, I think, is to look at what’s written on the handles at the pump. I personally fill up at Texaco, Shell and BP, and I’ve seen only the little E5 on all of their pumps.
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby GAV » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:35 pm

I found my Fuel Pump wasnt priming on my Aprilia RSV Mille and took a chance on a Fleabay replacement. The pipes return and to the injectors in the throttle bodies fell out of the tank due to being perished, so I fitted some braided ethanol resistant ones, the whole gubbins goes into the back of the tank with the pipes going onto connedtors in the tank itself. Possibly the pump had dried out but didnt lead to the below.
I had the pipe down from the petrol tank on my SS1 Scimitar had split and deposted the tank contents on the lock up floor.I managed to fit a braided one-real awkward-my efforts being rewarded by the car eventually going up in flames-Glass reinforced polyprpolene + unleaded making for its quick demise Image
Morale was a little on the low side that day
In my tenure the thing had electrical glitches and carb ones the fore and aft XR3 engine sporting a 28/36 Webber same as with the Blydenstein tuned HBs I believe.
I am not suggesting this is ethel related but if the Powers that be raise the content it will be change the fuel hoses time for my Viva.
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:18 pm

At the minute the only ethanol fuel you will only find at the pumps is E5 as E10 hasn't been introduced yet AFIK. As far as problems with E10 and classic cars is concerned I think the the general statement that classic cars will be affected is too wide.

Certainly older classic cars that are very original and have had few parts replaced over the years are vulunerable but many already have had fuel hoses replaced with suitable ones. Stromberg carb original O rings since the 70's have been ethanol safe, but some replacements are not!

Brass and alloy parts corroding is a worry but only if the fuel sits in the car for enough time to absorb water and cause corrosion.

Having said that, don't take any chances and swap anything that is old and try to use a low ethanol fuel or use an ethanol protection additive.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby ADRIAN » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:31 am

In France.......all the service stations on the autoroutes (motorways) ONLY have E10 for sale. So you get into the habit of filling up to the brim before going on any autoroute, and if you do need to fill - up, you come off the autoroute and go into the nearest town to find a supermarket - and of course timed to have a long lunch break too. !
It seems the French think only modern cars should use the autoroutes.
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Colin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:01 pm

GTpete wrote:Do we have anyone in the Petroleum trade that can confirm BP Ultimate or Shell Advance fuels do not contain Ethanol?

Asked my local service station...you can guess the answers!

Here are details of Esso ethanol free 97 Octane (scroll down to 5th FAQ) -

https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels-faqs

Shell are currently telling us all their petrols include only up to 5% ethanol

https://support.shell.com/hc/en-gb/arti ... s-Ethanol-
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby GTpete » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:15 pm

Thanks Colin...

What is the ethanol content of your fuels?
The majority of unleaded 95 Octane petrol sold in the UK contains up to 5% ethanol as required under the Government’s Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO).

There is currently no requirement for renewable fuel (such as ethanol) to be present in super unleaded (97 grade petrol).

Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland. The European standard BS EN228 covers the requirements for 0-5% ethanol unleaded petrol, the labelling requirement for zero % ethanol is E5 (as is up to 5%), a E0 label doesn’t exist. We understand that this is confusing if you are looking for zero % ethanol fuel, but as advised we can confirm that our Supreme Unleaded fuel supplied in areas except those listed (Devon, Cornwall, Teeside & Scotland) is ethanol free.
GTpete
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby GTpete » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:32 pm

DELETED
GTpete
GT Viva
GT Viva

Previous

Return to General Discussion