Factory's

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Factory's

Postby barchetta » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:25 am

I read on the website :

The final version of the Viva was the HC, and was launched in October 1970. It was to remain in production for 9 years with 640,863 cars being produced at Vauxhall’s Luton and Elsemere Port plants.

7th Digit E = Factory where made E = Ellesmore Port, V = Luton.

I'm pretty sure mine is build in Antwerp (engine bay has an inscription saying so.), but I can't find any info how many Viva's are build in Antwerp.

Is this info available here?
Viva HC 1275
barchetta
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Factory's

Postby pbottomley » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:01 am

alas the only info I had when writing those pages was for UK cars, no off-shore factory information was or is to hand for an update this either, unless someone offers it up
pbottomley

Postby Colin » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:11 am

Some continental cars had GM Continental Antwerp chassis plates, like this recently advertised Dutch Firenza -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Fir ... 7675.l2557

This car's chassis plate states 'General Motors Continental Antwerp' but the chassis number has a 935371V Luton build Firenza prefix. (It's a bit unclear due to image size limitations but it states 'Firenza' against 'Type' and the above chassis number)

So the car was either assembled from a Luton built CKD kit in Antwerp or ferried over complete from Luton - perhaps with the chassis plate added in Antwerp - or possibly at the time of dealer pre-delivery inspection.

Does your GM continental car have a 93****V or E chassis number Barchetta, like this Firenza? Or is its chassis number different again - like Canadian and South African cars?
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:53 am

while I have nothing to offer by way of an answer I can say that there is no information that I am aware of about cars that came to Canada. I have tried as many different routes as I can think of and these do not seem to be any records.

good luck!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby barchetta » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:33 pm

My plate indicates in both French and Dutch

Merk/Marque : Vauxhall
Type : VIVA 12 9UC11A
CHASSISN: 9C11DDE.....
HTG/PMA : 1240
HTGS/PMAT : 2000
PVG/PVA : 40664
KLEUR/COULEUR : 301
BEKLED./GARNIT. : 1X3
Viva HC 1275
barchetta
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:35 pm

That will be an Antwerp built Viva built post '73. The model number has A for Antwerp and it has a E for Europe in the chassis number where post 73 UK built cars have either an X or Y. Earlier cars built in Ellesmere Port were E and Luton were V.

The colour code will be an Opel one instead of Vauxhall.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby barchetta » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:30 pm

1972nail wrote:The colour code will be an Opel one instead of Vauxhall.

That seems to be the case indeed.

Opel Tropic Green

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/colour_swatch_opel_1970
Viva HC 1275
barchetta
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to General Discussion