Rostyle wheels

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Rostyle wheels

Postby MarkF » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:29 pm

Hello, I’m looking for a set of rostyle wheels to go on my HB. Are the Vauxhall ones 5.5 inch wide? I can see a set on eBay that have come off a ventora FD but the owner could not tell me if the stud pattern is 4 x 4inch. Does anyone know if these would fit. Or does anyone know where I could get hold of a set
Thanks
Mark
MarkF
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Rostyle wheels

Postby Colin » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:35 pm

Hi Mark,

The correct Vauxhall FD / HB / HC Viva / Magnum / Firenza Rostyles are 13" rims, 4" x 4 PCD and 5" wide - not 5.5".

I think MGB Rostyles are a 14" rim, 4.5" x 4 PCD and 5.5" wide and they look similar. MG Midget Rostyles are 13" 4x4 PCD and will fit Viva - although with the wrong offset. Ford and Rootes also used a similar design.

For GM Rostyles we would need a picture of the wheels to see whether they are the (correct for Viva) Vauxhall imperial 4" (101.6mm) PCD or the incorrect Opel (Cavalier / Chevette) 100mm PCD. If they are stamped 5J - not 5.5 and look like the lower picture below they are probably OK.

Because the difference is not that apparent people often fit the wrong (metric Opel) wheels to their Vivas. This causes the stud holes to become oval and places lateral strain on the studs - not good!

The way to tell the difference visually between Opel and Vauxhall wheels is that the Opel metric wheels have four spokes that narrow from the outer rim inwards towards the wheel centre, whereas the imperial Vauxhall Rostyle spokes narrow from the centre outwards toward the outer rim.

Like the MGB Rostyles the correct imperial Vauxhall wheels also have an additional 'half spoke' pointing from the outer rim towards the studs. These are missing on the Opel metric wheels.

Here's the Opel metric rim (wrong for Viva)

untitled wheel 2 JPG.jpg
untitled wheel 2 JPG.jpg (29.03 KiB) Viewed 1654 times

And the correct Vauxhall imperial rim

ROstyle%20wheel%20small.jpg
ROstyle%20wheel%20small.jpg (25.62 KiB) Viewed 1654 times

To confuse matters further the Opel rims are correct for four stud FE Victor VX series (but not VX 4/90 / Ventora and not FD) because the FE used metric hubs.

Hope this helps. :)
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby MarkF » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:37 pm

Hi Colin,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. That was really helpful. By the sounds of it the wheels will fit my viva, they look the same as the second picture

Thanks again
Mark
MarkF
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Colin » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:46 am

Good to know Mark. Good luck with it. :)
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby imperial21 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:50 pm

Could i ask if the wheels that came with mine are right ?
imperial21
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby junkyarddog » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:22 pm

imperial21 wrote:
resized.jpg
Could i ask if the wheels that came with mine are right ?

No,those are Opel wheels,so are metric 4x100pcd,You will need imperial 4x4" wheels.
Just one more turn should do it....
junkyarddog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby imperial21 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:29 pm

Oh dear not good news :cry: when i bought the car they where supposed to be correct for the car, what would they of been fitted to originally ?
imperial21
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby lord13 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:32 am

imperial21 wrote:Oh dear not good news :cry: when i bought the car they where supposed to be correct for the car, what would they of been fitted to originally ?

Chevettes mainly I would've thought . . . or any 100mm pcd vauxhall/opel vehicle of the 70's/ early 80's...
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:00 pm

As you dont say what car you have it is difficult to comment on what wheels should be on it - if they were rostyles then they should be imperial PCD as in Colin's photo - alternatively they would have been standard steel.
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby imperial21 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:50 pm

Sorry i need to fit the wheels to my HC viva
imperial21
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Next

Return to General Discussion