Webmaster wanted

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Webmaster wanted

Postby pbottomley » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:52 pm

This is notification that I intend to step down as webmaster with immediate effect. I have spent many long days and nights, sometimes 2 days straight, making a new site that we could be proud of.

However some of you seem to see me as a club official, I am not. I am just a member who volunteered to continue the work from others. I am not paid, I do not charge for my time, and have a full time job, I work most nights and most weekends on the site, and for this very reason I feel I have to stand down. I don’t get the buzz out of it anymore. To get the forum to email people alone took most of xmas and new year hour after hour day after day, to satisfy you!

I have accepted negative remarks, comments and criticism of the club, and tried hard to support the club.

I had the strength to stand up and volunteer. I also pay my fees each year like you, but I give back more than I put in.

Some of you have mentioned your £21 well I also give my £21 and I also give my time and help to help the club grow! For example how many of you have I called personally to fix your pc’s?

As a club member I am appalled at the attitudes of some of the club members, and their never ending barrage of criticism. People find it all too easy to hide behind their screens and throw insults in (sometimes hidden as jokes) and never face the consequences of my lost nights of sleep.

There are issues with the club, there is no doubt in that, but I am not the club, so leave off of me. Take your justified issues to Adrian; you all know he is on holiday, that doesn’t make it open season on me.

Its hardly a surprise that Karl and Deon have left, their leaving was “partly” prompted by the file of rank of people who see the internet based part of the club as nothing more than a complaints board. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

For these reasons I stand down, but will not be leaving the club as a member, rather I shall melt into the background and just demand my magazine 4 times a years I will also be joining other clubs and just sit back and use my viva (s).
pbottomley

Postby pbottomley » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:54 pm

Just as a side line, I will contiune to run the website until a sutible person is found
pbottomley

Postby AUTOMAN » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:12 pm

Sorry you feel that way Paul, but maybe you should take some time for yourself and your family. I have appreciated your efforts and the support that you have offered to me in the short time I have been a member.

Whatever happens, good luck and I would like publicly to wish you every success and happiness in whatever you do both now and in the future.

Respectfully

Ian.
AUTOMAN

Postby Clara » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:31 pm

Thanks for all the hard work you've done :)
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Pork Pie » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:45 am

It does make me wonder when a good friend who`m i know has put many hours in of his own time (for free) has to take the drastic step of handing over this forum to someone coz of a few mindles idiots who post personal emails damming his hard work. Where is all this going????????????
I have been going to Billing and other shows for years and camped over the weekends and met many people, we sit getting rather drunk, telling tall stories of how fast ours Viva`s go. We all come from different back grounds and have different beliefs the one goal with the many i have met, is to enjoy what we do with our cars. Get back to basics people.
For those that have dammed what Paul has done it is easy to do so over the interent, would you do it at an AGM or would you have the balls to do it over the camp fire i think not, you would not just have one person anwsering you back when you email direct. Dont forget Paul does have a printer! and can forward emails on.
Debate about an issue and many do join in for a mass debation( cant beat a good mass debation) but keep it real. Some people do have feelings.
Pork Pie

Webmaster wanted

Postby Sid » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:41 am

Unfortunately it's a sad fact of this modern electronic text based
communication that people take things the wrong way and often far too
seriously. I've seen on other forums where harmless ribbing turned into
"flame wars" and threatened to decimate groups to the point of leaving
behind just the ones with the thickest skins or a natural ability to read
between the lines and "imagine" the text as a real conversation and know
when someone's tongue is in their cheek or whatever.

You talk of the "campfire" scenario, but that's just it, if it was a bunch
of blokes around a campfire with facial expressions
and laughter between the lines, it wouldn't all get taken so darned
seriously!

If I'm missing your point and *personal* stuff has been said that really
warranted what you've just been saying then I'll be off and get me coat now
as I obviously took it the wrong way ;-)
Anyway I dont wanna get caught mass debating!

Sid
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby kellyharding » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:29 am

I can certainly atest to the sheer hard work and hours Paul's been putting in to fit in all the feature requests people wanted, etc.

It has taken its toll on him I suspect rather more than he lets on, even to me, his girlfriend.

I suspect in reality this might well of happened regardless of any bickering and in-fighting that may of happened recently, due to the stress it has caused.

Kelly
kellyharding

More thoughts

Postby pbottomley » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:26 pm

Dear all

Further to my posting last night I have slept on my thoughts and wish to continue as webmaster for the time being, subject to approval by a new committee. (And firstly the girlfriend!) I am not going to admit defeat to a bunch of idiots who just want to ruin it for all of us. So I shall retract my resignation in the short term.

I fundamentally believe that the forum is not the right place to air spleens. The forum is a place for fellow viva owners to get together and talk VIVAS (note the spelling SID).

Like all clubs, groups will emerge that can no longer follow the clubs path and will break away to follow their own course. I applaud the hard work done by those in the past for the club, and know that they will succeed in their journeys. They have taken a long time to reach a decision to leave; I have been party to some of this over the last few years, and they and I have worked to change the club from within without success (so far). They fought to make the club work; their decision is no fly by night action as it may appear.

That said, I don’t condone them for leaving but do understand why, I have given them space to announce their decision but have now locked that topic, as the Topic has descended into chaos and riot.

I see lots of comments about surely this could of been done etc. Great people are talking about how we can make the club better.

I am not concerned about you being a viva owners club member, a non club member, and or another club member when using the forum, its not restricted, and I have not previously imposed a set of rules on those who use the forum, but from now on I have no choice.

I will be enforcing the rules of the forum with greater vigour than I have in the past. A copy of the rules is on the website (and indeed has been on the website from day one) I will also be enforcing the terms and conditions of the website usage with equal vigour.

If you feel you cannot contain your warped humour and or sly comments about the club, then you are free to leave, and continue to use your own forums and or email groups to say what you feel. It is a free world.

1/. The concerns AUTOMAN has about estate cars, Please do not comment anymore about this until he has spoken to ADARIAN directly. Adding fuel to this issue will not help. If you are so drawn to comment them please do it privately, you all have the ability to private message each other. I cannot see or read those, even as administrator

2/. The concerns of accounts: this matter will hopefully be looked at by a new treasurer, until that happens their is no point throwing little comments to wind the forum members up. This matter is something Adrian needs to address directly and at this time he has no voice. Please give him time to respond.

4/. Modifications: I didn’t hear anyone say the CONCOURSE boys haven’t got a voice? The simple solution is to delete the modification topic. Look the nature of a forum is to provide areas for people with equal interests to communicate with each other, NOT to partition you away in the corner out of sight and mind.

I was going to create a section for the concourse boys, and area for youth, and area for? Well who knows, but some people jumped too soon and claim unfairness, censorship, racism (yes been accused of that), being a nazi (yep been called that as well).

I guess the modification issue is linked directly to the clubs constitution; the club is run wholly by Adrian Millar and until a committee is in place what he believes the club should do, goes! He has a vision of the club being mainly (but not wholly) about preserving the car in its natural form. I think it’s important for a club to have a viewpoint. There is nothing wrong with this stance, as long as everyone knows, and understands when they join.

People can sit and find holes in all of this by saying, he has the wrong wheels on his car therefore he is a hypocrite. That’s not the point! I said a stance not a set of golden rules cast by god and given down to him to enforce.

Life isn’t black and white, but some of you seem to spend way too long looking for the answer to life the universe and everything and in this case 42 isn’t the answer!

Anyways that’s plenty from me for now...

Speak nice and we will all get jelly and ice cream for tea. :P
pbottomley

Webmaster wanted

Postby Sid » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:12 pm

> I have slept on my thoughts and wish to continue as webmaster

Good. Top man.

> VIVAS (note the spelling SID).

D'oh! I resign as proof reader. What d'ya mean I'm sacked already ;-)

> If you feel you cannot contain your warped humour and or sly comments

Hey, using my surname like that isn't funny. OK, yes it is actually!

Sid

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Pork Pie » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:30 pm

Nice to see, you`ve changed you mind Paul. Im sure i speak for all when we welcome you back with open arms.
Pork Pie

Next

Return to General Discussion