Silly Question

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Silly Question

Postby pbottomley » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:01 pm

Right all those in the know, I am about to start the process of convering my 1159 to a 2.3 and had a sudden thought, will the 2.3 fit into the engine bay from below? I was planning to wheel in the subframe and engine / gearbox complete and lower the car onto it?

If its a tight fit but does fit what should I look out for?

Do I need to swap the brake servos over?

any advice welcome, I can swap a 1256 / 1159 almost blindfold, but the 2.3 is a whole new beast
pbottomley

Postby xwv2300 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:35 pm

Its the same shell so will go straight in, very tight round the ns chassis rail and head so got to go in a bit off centre then centre up in the last inch, no need to remove the servo, don`t know if 1256 and 2300 were the same or not.
xwv2300
GT Viva
GT Viva

Silly Question

Postby Sid » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:38 am

Yes it will go in from below like that no problem, once the 1159's radiator supports and undertray have been removed of course.
That's how I did my V6 originally.
If you already have the 1159 servo brakes then there's no need to swap the brake servo unless you really want the bit of extra
assistance (the 2300 servo is bigger as I recall but not essential).

Sid
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby shamm » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:15 pm

The servo is not essential at all, mine broke last year and I have got so used to doing without it that I keep forgetting it is not there at all!

Steve (HC183)
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby edgoose1 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:43 pm

When we converyted the 1300 Firenza to 2300 we kept the smaller 1256 servo its adequate. However we di replace all the brake pipes and used the 2300 axle with the biger brake shoes at the rear. Also used the biger discs at the front with rekon calipers. If you havent got any 2300 calipers John Sharpe might be able to supply you with a set.
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Silly Question

Postby pbottomley » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:46 pm

I am planning on swapping the front and rear axles over, as well as the
engine and box.... I did think I would be best re doing all the brakes and
lines at the same time... So glad we agree.

Also have a set of 2300 discs all nice and new ready for the car :)

I might as well change the servo as I have to re -fit everything else and in
the grand scale of things it isn't going to take that much more time LOL.

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com
pbottomley

Return to General Discussion