liability insurance

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

liability insurance

Postby Sid » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:42 pm

Bottom line appears to be it depends on the show organisers and/or the venue, but it's certainly not universal.

In any case, that *could* be funded by a small levy on the show stand admission fee anyway.
In principle, it's arguable that members who have no interest in "showing" their own cars shouldn't really have to pay insurance for
those few who do, but obviously that's just one viewpoint and open for debate.
A counter argument would be that the club might lose its "show presence" altogether if stand costs had to be subsidised by an entry
fee.
Nevertheless, there are often two (or more) sides to issues like this and there's nothing wrong with debating these sort of things,
even if the new "commitee" ultimately decides things should stay as they are.

Sid
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Liability

Postby pbottomley » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:17 pm

So Sid does this mean you finally agree the club needs money in order to carry out its activities?

The cost is Immaterial in this debate, what the club and more importantly you need to understand is no matter how much you trumpet away about this should be free etc. the fact remains the Club is required to have insurance to display as shows such as Billing. If I get knocked over by a car on a field your personal insurance will disown you, the owners of the land have some liability, but you can never rely on that, so one needs to have club liability cover.

Now if that is paid for by those that wish to attend and show their cars, and or by the greater population of the club again is immaterial, the single fact of this thread is we need to have Insurance.

This is a quote from classic cars weekly; I think it sums it up well

Insurance cover

In these sad days of the compensation culture, some show organisers now insist that showgo-ers arrange their own public liability insurance, in addition to normal car cover. This presumably is to ward against little Nathan bruising his knee on your bumper, and subsequently sueing for loss of earnings in his knee modelling career. Perhaps I'm getting cynical, but it pays to make sure you're not leaving any rusty corners on which people can snag themselves upon, as it'll only cause you headaches if someone does complain.

:shock: Stuned that in our modern world people still feel the need to defend the lack of care we had for each other in the past, seatbelts, smoking, health and safety laws are there to benifit us not hinder us.
pbottomley

liability insurance

Postby Sid » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:41 pm

> So Sid does this mean you finally agree the club needs money in order to carry out its activities?

Depends what you mean.
I'm also a member of a "free membership" club, which charges about 2 quid per car on show stands (in addition to the site entry fee
where applicable). That is an alternative way of raising money which causes less questions about such things as where 20 grand a
year goes.
It's more of a PAYG approach.

> the fact remains the Club is required to have insurance to display as shows such as Billing.

Odd, because my "other" club had shows at Billing (well they did until JAE show moved to Peterborough last year), and I'm 99% sure
there was no insurance *requirement* for the club.
I take the point from the quote regarding compensation culture though. It sucks.
Having said that, you wouldnt get far sueing a club that had no funds, so that's another one for the melting pot :-)

Sid

----- Original Message -----
To: <general@vauxhallviva.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 1:17 PM

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Clara » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:53 pm

Just a question, if this was a "free" club where members only paid if they wanted to show their cars, and didn't mind having to buy a computer so they could recieve magazines via email,

How would we do events like the classic at the NEC? Buying the space costs more than you could expect the members who volunteer their cars onto the stand to pay.

Or would we not attend such events and hope that new members find us another way?

Would we then sell "advertising space" on the website to cover any website costs?

If our logo laiden flags or tents got damaged at an event how would we magic a replacement?

And would it mean the end of the silly-little-but-non-the-less-fun prizes that are presented to best the vehicles?
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:05 pm

Like you say silly question, bit obvious isnt it we wouldnt ever be able to have a stand at the NEC, unless osmeone showed charity to us. :cry:

Advertising on websites is a misnoma, there is no money in it, dont be fooled by the odd luck suscess of one bloke last year. Its the exception to the rule.

NOOOOO prizes are fun, i can supply some old gas fittings that i am sure will look good on a mantel shelf, as a trophy. :D :D
pbottomley

Postby Edd_V6 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:05 pm

Are you trying to say the club has to pay to show at the NEC ?

Edd
Edd_V6
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:36 pm

This is where you know more than me. I was aware that we spent sums of money to have our stand at the NEC. If I am wrong will stick me hand up say i was wrong

:?:

But the issue was not the NEC parsay, its was the notion of a free club working out how to pay for shows should they charge large show stand fees, I guess the NEC seems like the one who would ask the most?

Its one of those side issues again, Until a comittee is in place and the comitee has had a chance to hear from all intrested parties, and had some time to work on new objectives no one will know if FREE is a realistic way forward, for a national club. Personally I aint so strapped for cash that £21 a year, or less than £2 a month is worth so much pent up frustration :?

Yet again we are off topic!! This thread was about Liability insurance, not show fees, so please try to keep it to that or start a new topic :D
pbottomley

Postby Edd_V6 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:56 pm

I actually think the two subjects are closely related. A club would normally get invited to big shows like the NEC etc. Smaller clubs also get invited to differnt type shows. When you fill in the paperwork you normally supply details of your clubs liability insurance.
The cost of your insurance is related to the size of your club. If you attend a show as an individual exhibitor then you dont have liability insurance the organiser will be insured.
If you pay to attend a show (ie Retro Show) then your admission fee is paying the insurance. If your club gives you a ticket to that show as a gift then the club has paid your insurance.

Edd
Edd_V6
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:18 am

That all makes sense EDD, I guess its down as another item to ask Adrian about upon return; exactly what does our insurance cost, what does it cover and is it the best deal... 8)

But doesnt elude the fact we need it, for certain shows E.G. Billing VBOA meet. :)

Thats me done for another day, fielding for the club, and I am only the unpaid goalie, the mega paid goalkeeper is still on holiday.
pbottomley

Return to General Discussion