Mr R Hammond

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Mr R Hammond

Postby Sid » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:15 pm

Not sure if this is related as I've not followed the story, but I think one problem is that running and maintaining a classic car is
becoming an increasingly time consuming pastime, what with disappearing supplies of spares, ever-tightening MOT regulations, and
increasing garage and machine-centre labour costs (coupled with declining skills!).

Some people, especially those with a bit of money, make the mistake of thinking you can just buy a nice classic, almost as a fashion
accessory, and just pay your local garage to keep it in shape, not realising that garages and suppliers can't be bothered to source
the spares anymore 'cos newer bits won't fit old cars as often as they did 20 years ago, and most motor factors aren't interested in
stocking parts for older cars anymore as hardly anybody drives anything over 10 years old due to the cheap glut of newer used cars.

Inevitably, at some point most of todays classic owners *will* have to spend their *own* time sourcing spares and getting their
hands dirty, and with increasingly busy lifestyles fewer people really want to spend half their weekends scouring autojumbles these
days, hence the silly prices the lazy or desperate people are paying for spares on Ebay.

Even the breakers yards are turning away (or just crushing) cars over 10 year old now. I nearly fell over when a breaker told me
"Blimey, you'll be lucky to find one of those nowadays!", when I asked if they had a Ford SIERRA in!!!

Up until just before the turn of the century I'd mostly run classics as my everyday transport, but nowadays I just don't find it
practical to rely solely on them, and I find myself in the depressing position of having to let my classic Magnum go, while keeping
a boring boring boring! Rover 420 in "preference" for basic transport just because the newer car will place less demands on my time
:-(

Sid

----- Original Message -----

> Well, fair enough and very true. But he is also a car nut and I'd be interested to see what he does with this Firenza. Just seems
> a shame to me to instantly *Bleep* all over it without being given a chance. I left the Imp Club and pretty much all of it's people
> and their poxy forum behind recently because they became too nasty to waste the time on.
>
> Although, I must admit I was peed off when Hammond went on and on about buyng a Dodge Charger, bought one and then flogged it for
> really lame reasons! That was irritating.
> _________________________________________________________

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby TommyDeVito » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:18 pm

Very well said. I've recently turned away from working on cars as much and prefer to spend my valuable time doing other stuff.
TommyDeVito

Postby dj_efk » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:53 am

For anyone that's interested I sold the Firenza to Richard - It was largely original apart from having new floorpans and sills - It was a basic model with rubber matting instead of carpets, on its original mechanicals etc. He was right about the paint finish - CR@P!
dj_efk

Previous

Return to General Discussion