Mr R Hammond

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Mr R Hammond

Postby hbpeter » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:58 pm

DOnt know if everyone has seen the Daily Mirror today. A certain Richard Hammond of Top Gear fame has bought a Firenza off ebay. Over the coming weeks he intends to restore the car and do a series of articles in the Mirror. Shall we forgive him the 2 mistakes in the article this week? Good luck Richard and you can always ask any questions on here.
HBPeter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby doss » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:08 am

well as always we should help where we can but it a;; depends on the what he has bought
doss
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby doss » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:10 am

i mean if we can help then looking at the car he has bought i should have insisted it were mine
but i dont trust these
doss
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:13 am

for those of you like me unable to run out and bye yesterdays news paper here is a link to Richards colum on the mirror web site:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/motoring/richardhammond/tm_objectid=17004517%26method=full%26siteid=94762%26headline=that%2ds%2dmy%2dlot-name_page.html

the car looks a mess, and quiet frankly I wonder if he is going to spend far to much money on it, in the intrests of not being seen as an idiot LOL
pbottomley

Postby dann01 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:13 pm

Have not see the car, but mistakes in the article aside, he says the 1256cc engine is a bad thing? He has not heard how awkward and thirsty the slant 4 can be obviously.

Perhaps we as a club should consider something here. Maybe if we approached him as a club offering the spares that nearly all of us have knocking around to help restore the car, and then said that in return, he should auction the car on ebay with the proceeds going to charity.

It's just a thought.
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby Clara » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:29 pm

dann01 wrote:if we approached him as a club offering the spares that nearly all of us have knocking around to help restore the car, and then said that in return, he should auction the car on ebay with the proceeds going to charity.

Makes a change to a pint at Billing! :)
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Mr R Hammond

Postby Fred Dukes » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:49 pm

Cant do any harm to help raise the profile of the club. It would certainly help to keep him on the straight and narrow - 2.3 V6?! etc. Should he be going for a straight restoration or an upgrade to a 2.3. Somewhat stuffed with the square headlights but maybe could put an adaptor plate in the front panel to allow twin headlights.
Who's going to volunteer for the club spokesman? - Danny ?
I must admit, other than the square headlights it is not too many miles away from where I started with a blue Firenza 4-5 years ago!! Trouble is it still looks little different to what it did then -- OOPS
I will get there one day.
Talking of slight inaccuracies did you see the report on the Brabham version of the HB with the twin Stromsburg's in Spring 2006 Practical Classics?
----- Original Message -----
To: general@vauxhallviva.com (general@vauxhallviva.com)
Sent: Saturday, April 29, 2006 6:13 PM
Subject: Mr R Hammond

Have not see the car, but mistakes in the article aside, he says the 1256cc engine is a bad thing? He has not heard how awkward and thirsty the slant 4 can be obviously.

Perhaps we as a club should consider something here. Maybe if we approached him as a club offering the spares that nearly all of us have knocking around to help restore the car, and then said that in return, he should auction the car on ebay with the proceeds going to charity.

It's just a thought.

There's nothing like a good back flushing with a bit of pressure behind it... Is there Procter?

This email was sent from the vauxhall viva owners club forum
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby dann01 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:10 am

I'm willing to try and get in touch with Mr Hammond on the clubs behalf, provided it's agreed, though it might mean my actually buying a daily mirror. Rats

Though since it would be in an official capacity, I'd like Adrian's endorsment. Especially since the committee hasnt been properly formed or met yet. I'll ring Adrian, unless he cares to put his thoughts forward here.

In the mean time, it might be an idea for everyone to pledge those unwanted spares so that at last we can give Mr Hammond an idea of how much help with spares he can realistically expect. It's time for a spring clean. Bugger, does this mean I have to sort out my garrage?
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Richard Hammond

Postby ADRIAN » Mon May 01, 2006 10:05 am

The club ( Adrian) has already been in contact with Richard Hammond, I have been answering his questions & so on, - but not directly. All communications so far have been via thePress office at Vauxhall Motors. Apparently this is the way he prefers it for the time being, hopefully we can gain his trust enough to get his direct e mail and address to be enroled as a fellow member. I think it is best if nobody writes to him via Daily Mail just yet, the only exception I can think of is maybe a "why not join the Viva Club" type of letter so that he joins our community. I can think that being a superstar with whitened teeth, he defends his privacy, and could easily be frightened away if we inundate him with advice, especially if some of that advice is inadvertantly given incorrectly. I think we need to ensure that any help given is not conflicting, and is accurate, because if it isnt all correct, being a member of the press and his work mate is a certain Jermy Clarkson, (Vauxhall fan - not!) we could get it all thrown back at us to show us up, if you see what I mean............
Adrian
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby mazzo » Mon May 01, 2006 12:49 pm

Did any one else notice the wing in the picture in his article?

It's not a high top and it has door, not wing mirrors.

If he's going for original restoration, then all that's got to go......

Good luck to him. Shame he was a bit negative about the Viva - but at least he is having a go himself.

I'll look forward to reading about his progress - and compare it to mine!!!!
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to General Discussion