Reasons why I like old cars

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Reasons why I like old cars

Postby Clara » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:43 am

When a modern cars brakes fail they fail at high speed just as you're approaching a busy roundabout.

When an old cars brakes fail they do so at low speed 25 yards from a garage.

My that handbrake is good.

Two mechanics very kindly whip'd the wheels off for me - but we can't work out where the leak is. :?
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby kellyharding » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:49 pm

Eeep. Hope it wasn't too hairy a moment!

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Kelly
kellyharding

Why I love old cars

Postby MattHC1600SL » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:49 pm

Sounds like you were very lucky - I wouldnt fancy running out of brakes anytime. Could have been very nasty. My guess is the master cylinder if you can't find a leak, single circuit master cylinders do just go like that when they get old. Get yourself a whole new cylinder, please don't muck about with a kit of rubbers in a worn old cylinder. You might not get away with it next time. Good luck - Matt.
Vauxhall Viva HC 1600 OHC SL TDL 533J
Honey Starmist / Black Vinyl Roof
MattHC1600SL
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:38 pm

Agree with Matt, if no leak visable then the master cylinder will have given up, this is what happened to my HB, no brakes, but no leaks, new master cylinder all working again.
Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby pbottomley » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:16 pm

well I have a master cylinder repair kit for the car as well Clara, thats almost a boot full of stuff i didnt remeber to put in the boot of cheesy!.

Sorry to here the brakes gave out, they certainly worked okay when you drove like a nutter up the A5 with me in it!!.. LOL

thats aside hows it going?
pbottomley

Postby Clara » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:06 pm

pbottomley wrote:Sorry to here the brakes gave out, they certainly worked okay when you drove like a nutter up the A5 with me in it!!.. LOL

thats aside hows it going?

Hey if you're going to test drive a car you've got to drive it. 8)

Aside from that she's going great. This coming week (body allowing) I'm hoping to start work on the body work and flush out the engine.
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby kellyharding » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:10 am

[quote="Clara"

Aside from that she's going great. This coming week (body allowing) I'm hoping to start work on the body work and flush out the engine.[/quote]

Great to see this car being given the TLC it deserves :)

Kelly
kellyharding

Return to General Discussion