LETS MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!!

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

LETS MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!!

Postby Fred Dukes » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:11 pm

Paul/ Ian,
Is there any merit in combining the "Vivacade" with the idea for a "Viva Weekend Away" that you were thinking of somewhere in the Lakes. In that way you could still maintain a gathering for all people involved and provide a highlight for the "away weekend". At the same time it would negate driving the extra 250 miles. Reliability has to be a consideration in this exercise and 650 miles is increasing the probability of breakdown. Danny did a long distance event a while ago, it would be useful to get his experience input on the subject.
Fred
----- Original Message -----
To: general@vauxhallviva.com (general@vauxhallviva.com)
Sent: Saturday, July 29, 2006 3:04 PM
Subject: LETS MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!!

Hello every-one,

While planning this event, we have come up with two different options and as I am counting on the good-will of the volunteers my wife Marie and I thought that we should place both options before you in order that a decission which suites all can be reached.

The Route,

Either we could drive streight from "COATBRIDGE" in Scotland, where the car is now, to Cardiff in South Wales where I live.

Or:-

We could drive the car from "COATBRIDGE" via WHITBREAD HOP FARM, for the show which is on the weekend of 16th-17th of september.

The first option involves a trip of just under 400 miles, whilst the seccond option is just over 650 in total.

I believe the second option to be best as the trip could be split up into 3 legs of driving.

Firstly a distance of 244 miles, from Coatbridge to Bakewell in Derbyshire. We have seccured a pre-reservation to camp at "LATHKILL DALE CAMPSITE" for Friday 15th September.

Secondly a trip from the campsite to "WHITBREAD HOP FARM" for the pre-show get-together on the saturday, and the driving distance is 212 miles. I think that thes would be the ideal place to start joining together as a convoy, collecting members and cars as we pass through the Midlands on our way south to Kent. Adrian has already seccured camping permission for that evening, so staggering home would not be a problem.

I then thought that members may like to show their cars on the Sunday, so I thought that this could either be a rest-day, where we all pat each-other on the back and raise more money for our cause as well as awareness of the viva.

Thirdly, we could either drive the car the final stretch of the trip to Cardiff, a total of 200 miles that night or even find another campsite or even if possible stay put for another night before traveling back to Cardiff on the Monday.

I preffered this option, as it gives more of a chance for people to get involved as the event would be spread over a total of four days, with a break in the middle.

As far as a name for the event is concerned, it has been suggested that we call it " A DRIVE FOR INDEPENDANCE ". The drive part being self explanitary, but the independance part reffering to what a Guide dog would provide for it's owner.

Your suggestions and oppinions upon all points are now welcomed, so please start thinking.

Thank you to all of you,

Ian
Automan.

MY WIFE FELL IN LOVE WITH VIVAS' AT BILLING. I HAVE SURVIVED 3 HEART ATTACKS. I CAN'T DECIDE WHICH IS THE BIGGER MIRACLE.

This email was sent from the vauxhall viva owners club forum
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby griffonmark » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:53 pm

I live in Preston and I am off work until the end of August. I can help as a driver or support driver from anywhere between Glasgow to Manchester. Just let me know if I can help. I don't do organising, but if someone tells me to do something I usually do it. Externally, I am just a little bit over 25 years old.

If its a good cause I'll pay my own expenses happily.

Regards

Mark
griffonmark
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby AUTOMAN » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:09 pm

I will start contacting people this week to find out what they can do. I am touched by the level of support so far, but could people please ask family member's, friends, as well as Viva owner's that may not be a member of this club or any club to help. Most of you have owned or been involved with Vivas' for longer than me, so will know more people, who may not have internet access or if they do, they may not log onto this site as often as some of us. We will also be looking for sponsors, such as local businesses etc, so please start putting the word about, letting people know that you will soon be asking them for a few pennies. The more we raise, the more worth-while our efforts, but of course there is no law that sais that we can't enjoy it at the same time.

If we are including people from outside the club to get involved, then maybe we should consider a different date to the one that I have proposed, or extending an invitation to the show to non-members, Whant do you think? Replys urgently needed regarding this, as I should ask Adrian as I do not want to offend anybody at all. This is just a suggestion.

Ian.
AUTOMAN

Postby dann01 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:53 pm

Sounds like everything is under control. Lots of help, lots of ideas, and I couldn't think of a more worthy cause. And its coming together so quick... it took nearly 6 months to get The Oddball Run together with sponsorship and the likes.

Just some snippets of advice that I feel are noteworthy.

An obviouse one. Have the car thoroughly checked out before the drive. A service is best, with the gear box and dif oil swapped out. A brake fluid change should be considered too. It aint just the engine sees the miles and you wanna give the car the best chance for success/survival you can. If everything is set up right at the start, any reliability issues are greatly reduced.

Someone with at least some mechanical knowledge should accompany the car, be it a driver, the mate following, what ever. Some one able to change or regap a set of points, for example, could save hours and miles.

A manual is essential as is a rudimentary tool kit and some electrical spares. Some oil and water too. And just a sugestion here, but some redex and some WD40 might come in handy.

Living in Bracknell way down south, it's unlikely I shall be able to join the drive forany stage. But I wish the event luck, and feel free to call on me. If I can help, I will help.

Regards
Danny
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby AUTOMAN » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:23 pm

Thank you Danny, it was suggested to my by Adrian amongst others that I should contact you for advice and it is on my list of things to do, but as you have posted here, I am greatfull for the reminder.

Any advice or suggestions that you may have is more than welcome, especially considering your experience. Please feel free to contact us at any point to offer either.

One of the reasons that I am posting regularly, is so that anybody can help with suggestions or advice, as there will be things over-looked, no matter how hard we plan.

The success of the trip depends upon people like you offering help, even if you can not attend, so once again thank you.

Ian.
AUTOMAN

Postby Laddermonkey » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:42 pm

i've been keeping up with this post and would like to wish all involved , the very best of luck and well done to the people lending their support. Unfortunately I can't offer much in the way of driving as I have temporarily lost my licence until November. I would have loved to join in on the Scottish leg of the journey. Instead, I will be making a donation to the charity concerned. If I can help in ANY other way , please feel free to ask.

Good luck to all .

Rab
Laddermonkey
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby AUTOMAN » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:59 pm

Thank you Rab,

Should you or anyone else wish to make a donation, you can do so by sending your payment to " A DRIVE FOR INDEPENDANCE"
4-4B LALESTON CLOSE
CAERAU
CARDIFF
CF5 5HY
SOUTH WALES.

All cheques or postal orders should be made payable to:-

THE GUIDE DOGS FOR THE BLIND ASSOCIATION.

Thank you.

Ian.
AUTOMAN>
AUTOMAN

Postby Clara » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:40 pm

Guys girls and those who haven't decided just to let you know that this car is going to be doing 800 [thank you google maps!] miles (plus a few laps around the roundabouts when whoever is driving gets lost!) for this event!

Some of our cars don't do that much in a year!
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Previous

Return to General Discussion