For the love of the car and not the £

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

For the love of the car and not the £

Postby AUTOMAN » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:02 pm

Well again the storey goes. You see a car and fall in love with it. It is a bit pricey, but you just have to have that car, or it is a wreck and if it were a modern car, the only place it would be going in that condition is to Sid the Scrapman. You convince yourself that you can sort this car out and that one day you will be proudly driving it and gaining admireing glances from people that notice you are in something a little different.

Your heart is full of excitement and anticipation you can't wait to get it home and start work on it. The job won't take that long and by the weekend, it will be up and running, by mid-week, it will be mot'd and come next weekend it will be primed and ready for a new coat of paint, etc etc so by the end of the month, you will have a fully restored car that you paid a few hundred £'s for and it has cost you nothing to restore to concourse condition, because you are the most popular member of the enthusiasts club, added to which all of your mates from down the pub are the best mechanics, body-shop boys, spray painters, and upholesterers in the world and they all owe you a favour. Your car is now worth thousands of £'s.

Then reality hits, you are 3 years into your restoration having spent loads of lonely nights not realy knowing what you are doing. Your kids have forgotten you and your wife's purse hides from you. The words you used to hear from your wife are now replaced with shrieks of "you think more of that damn car than you me" I love owning a Viva.

Ian.
Automan.
AUTOMAN

Postby AUTOMAN » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:35 pm

The point to the above storey is to say to those that don't understand, owning a Viva for us is about the love of the car and not the love of the £. If we were solely interested in money, we would find an investment to put our money into and play it safe. We would not buy a car that we could rub a little pollish into for a quick proffit and that is not what this club is about. People that have taken part in this club are interested in keeping their cars going whatever it takes and not for trying to scam our friends and fellow enthusiasts out of hundreds or even thousands of £'s. My motto is treat others the way that you would like to be treated yourself. If you want to try to rip people off or you are getting into our club for personal financial gain, please go else-where as we are not interested in lining your pockets. If you do however want to promote, preserve and restore the use of the cars that we love, then you are more than welcome. Pretenders and con-men will be found out and then castigated by all of us ginuine Viva lovers.

Sorry for this post, but I have seen a few things over the past few days that have dissappointed me. This club is about friendship and helping others and I will defend and be proud of that fact as all genuine members should be.

Ian.
Chairman.
AUTOMAN

Postby bodyworx » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:11 pm

Havent been on the site much for a while (been a busy boy, new house and new garage), but after reading that post, it has made me realise how much in common we all seem to have !.
I HATE people who scam or try and rip you off , maybe im too gullible.

Ive spent 19 months on my car to date, no , not because of rot or anything ,its a genuine 40k mile car !, (40002 to be precise) I just keep seeing things that either upgrade it or are better condition and it goes on and on and on striving for perfection.
Ive got a full feature now for the Total Vauxhall magazine and the car NEEDS to be ready for a photoshoot in April .
so its heads down time.
Hope to make a few trips down South this year and Kilbroney park in Ireland, so it will be out and about soon (crosses fingers and toes)
Andy.
bodyworx
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to General Discussion