Thinking Ahead...

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Thinking Ahead...

Postby Kat » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:30 am

Hi,

Given Paul's finally convinced me that I should take all the good bits off 'Lurch' then dispose of the rest (unless anyone wants a major restoration project, and I mean major) and I'll be attempting to pass my '86 BMW on to someone, that'll leave me with... A SPACE..!

In accordance with the law which states, "The number of old cars always expands to fill all available accommodation", I'm already wondering what to fill this hypothetical space with... :shock:

The driveway is narrow but I know an HC will squeeze through, and I like HCs...

Now, here's an admission... I've never owned a slant-four one!

Come to think of it, I've never even been in one, never mind driven one. So the little voice in my head, the one responsible for leading me into untold mischief, is trying to persuade me that I really need to experience the delights of a slant-four HC.

Bear in mind that I'm generally completely skint. So I'm looking at the end of the scale where I might be offered something in need of some work, cheap or maybe free to a good home. That rules out the HPF and 2300SL and other rarities. Two doors and quad headlights would be nice, though... :D

So, what tend to be the common ones..? Is there such a thing as a slant-four HC which is unpopular (and therefore potentially cheap)?

Over to you... what would you suggest as "my first slant-four HC"?

Cheers, Kat
Kat
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby shamm » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:30 am

How cheap is cheap and what sort of 'work needed' do you want to handle?

Also project or runner?
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:07 am

Dont under any circumstances let her near another Viva till she has this one sorted :P

I am under instructions from higher authorites, to make sure Kat gets everything sorted with Emma, Lurch and the BMW, and only then can she have new toys :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for Axles, and ratios, I think you better factor in the wheels and tyres as they are Rostyles with 175's on not your normal things, one might actually cancel the other out.

In my experance no matter what you do above 30mph its always going to read wrong..... :shock: :? :D
pbottomley

Thinking Ahead...

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:36 am

Hi Kat,
You cant beet a good slant 4 - but I would go for a 2300cc for some lively performance.
Now bearing in mind what Paul B has just said I am not going to tell you about the 2door 2300 HC for sale - which happens to be in the thread for
"HC viva GLS / SL wanted" under "cars for sale"
ooH my big mouth!!!
Fred
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby bulldog » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:40 pm

Lurch? what is he a saloon/coupe/estate /hc/hb
mike
mike

1972 firenza 2000 sl turbo
1969 HB 1159 2 door deluxe [Fungus]
1968 HB 1159 2 door sl90
hc 325
bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:49 pm

Sorry Kat I did get pictures of Lurch :P
pbottomley

Postby Kat » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:14 pm

Hi,

I'm going to behave myself, I won't be looking to fill the space vacated by Lurch until Emma is sorted out to my satisfaction.

But, once I'm at the stage where I'm doing little more than running repairs and the usual servicing, then and only then will I be on the lookout for another one to play with.

...but I'm allowed to think about what I'd like next, and something with a 2300 sounds like it could be fun when the time comes.

I think I'd end up on the lookout for something that's basically sound and complete, not a complete wreck in need of full restoration. I've had too many of those in the past. I'll probably be disciplined about this and hold off until I'm back in work again, then I can afford something not in need of drastic work. Something that's a better starting point for restoration than Lurch, anyway.

My often-strange sense of "logic" suggests that, as I've got a pair of NOS front wings (originally intended for Lurch) that I look for a car to go with them. :roll:

So... what's an HC with a 2300 slant-four like to drive, then? I have a feeling I'd enjoy one rather a lot. :)

I should do the sums sometime, but I have a feeling that a 2300 HC has a better power/weight ratio than my last 'daily driver', an '86 BMW E28 525i. That has 150bhp but I'll bet it's a bit heavier than an HC.

Cheers, Kat
Kat
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby shamm » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:43 pm

So... what's an HC with a 2300 slant-four like to drive, then?

:D :D :shock: :lol: :x :shock: :D :D

Or in other words mad, mad fun!!!
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:10 pm

Agree with Steve... normal reaction when I drive Sidney has been :D :D :shock: :shock: Roundabout Brake, Squirt throttle on apex, go sideways under full power :twisted: :twisted: reach edge of near distance view tooo fast :shock: :shock: Damn Fuel needed :roll:
pbottomley

Postby SidVicious » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:09 pm

pbottomley wrote:Agree with Steve... normal reaction when I drive Sidney has been :D :D :shock: :shock: Roundabout Brake, Squirt throttle on apex, go sideways under full power :twisted: :twisted: reach edge of near distance view tooo fast :shock: :shock: Damn Fuel needed :roll:

Sideways you say :shock: :D :lol: :lol:
SidVicious
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Next

Return to General Discussion