I want to make or own a beast.

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

I want to make or own a beast.

Postby AUTOMAN » Sat May 12, 2007 10:28 am

I finally got the collection of my car from Cornwall sorted out, but unfortunately the chap selling the car does not seem to want to return my phone-calls, so thats it I suppose, another near but yet so far purchase of an HB estate. Well this means that I either want to concentrate on my pick-up or get something with a huge engine to tow with so that I don't have this problem again, should a car come up for sale. How easey would it be to turn my 1159cc pick up style HB estate into something with a load of go, to match the show, and make it good to tow? (did you see what I did there with the poetry).

Are the parts arround to do the job? and would it cost a load? Please advise me my dear friends, before we get to the lets get the car running stage, as it would be good to sort this project out before Billing and get both of my cars there.

Ian.
AUTOMAN

Postby psl » Sat May 12, 2007 10:44 am

you need an 1800 or better still a 2.3 conversion. You`ll need the complete cars running gear to do this. Try finding a 2.3 engine let alone the full running gear, keep your eyes and ears open for one.
sorry i dont sell viva parts any more.
psl
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby xwv2300 » Sat May 12, 2007 10:50 am

2.3 viva ,magnum,firenza, find a rotton one a swap all the running gear.
one 2.3 HB pick up 100bhp+ should be enough to tow.
Personally id go for a FD or FE ventora estate if you can find one, tow anything and still a classic vauxhall (bit thirsty mind)
xwv2300
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Kat » Sat May 12, 2007 2:47 pm

xwv2300 wrote:Personally id go for a FD or FE ventora estate if you can find one, tow anything and still a classic vauxhall (bit thirsty mind)

Personally I'd want extra weight in a tow car and I'd probably go for a 2300 FE.

The 3300 six is a heavy old lump and not much more powerful than the 2300, really. It's a nice engine, though. Well, I like it, anyway.

The FD and FE are very much just big Vivas, if you know your way around the HB/HC then you'll be on familiar ground with the FD/FE.

I've towed a twin-axle tilt-bed trailer with an HC on it with my BMW E28 525i; which is a fairly similar size/weight to the FE. It towed well and didn't feel like the trailer was in danger of controlling the car... which is not good...

And the FE VX4/90 was used rather successfully in a caravan racing series in the seventies... how about a replica of that one? ;)

(Scroll to the bottom of this page for a couple of pics of a replica of this, some of you may remember it from Billing a few years back.)
Kat.
Kat
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Kat » Sat May 12, 2007 2:50 pm

...or could you be interested in my '86 E28 525i... it's up for grabs again...
Kat.
Kat
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby AUTOMAN » Sat May 12, 2007 11:28 pm

Thanks to all. I would like details of your car please Kat as I definately need a tow car.

Ian.
AUTOMAN

Postby Kat » Wed May 16, 2007 2:40 am

AUTOMAN wrote:I would like details of your car please Kat as I definately need a tow car.

There be details of the BMW and some pics posted on a thread over there... I'm now likely to finish the welding, put the interior back in, replace the one remaining corroded brake pipe, then see if I can get it through the MoT. And put the price up... I need to get something for this shed, er sorry, desirable classic, to buy bits of Viva... ;)
Kat.
Kat
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to General Discussion