Flush fit door handles into HC doors

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Flush fit door handles into HC doors

Postby Jon-HPF » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:02 am

Always liked the look of modern flush fitting handles so thought id give it a go on some spare coupe doors.
managed to get a pair of Toyota MR2 doors as i intended to use their catches instead of trying to make up a method of conecting everiything to the original HC door catches.

The new handles fit very well and dont appear to foul the window (not tried it in yet - but it looks like it will clear :roll: ) , had to remove all the toyota's central locking system as it fouled the lower window guide though :cry:
A fair bit of measuring and fiddling around was needed to get the catch area all lined up with the HC door frame - i also took the strike pins off the mr2 and will need to locate them on the "b" pillar.
Just used the mr2 control rods and rebent and reshaped them and all the locks etc now work :D

The 2 mr2 doors cost £40 , but i intend to recover this cost by selling the cards/ regulators/glass and mirrors on ebay :lol:

"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby vman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:11 pm

nice looking job like to do somthink like that myself and a good job on the spoiler as well no bother to you
vman
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Po79 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:30 pm

Smart!!!! :)
Po79
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:51 pm

you,ve been at it again haven't you Jon!!?? you trend setter you :lol:

i'll have to have a look at the pics when i get home 8)
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:15 pm

Thanks for the comments guys :wink:
I cant help myself spence - ive been to the doctors but he said that although the condition is recognised as anorak vivaras - its not enough to let him sign me off for the next few months in order to get the car finished :D
Cheers - Jon
PS - better not show you how the door mirrors are fixed then !
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby grandas_shed » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:57 am

let us see how u fitted the mirrors m8.
what sort are they?
grandas_shed
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:20 pm

Jon-HPF wrote:PS - better not show you how the door mirrors are fixed then !

grandas_shed wrote:let us see how u fitted the mirrors m8.
what sort are they?

yeah go on!!

now you,ve gone and done that handle mod Jon, its a debate now wheather or not to use the omegas flush handles as it would overcome the linking to the central locking catch issues!

trouble is i was trying to retain the original look of the exterior... hmmm, you,ve opened a can of worms again haven't you :wink:
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:56 pm

After searching for a pair of early Manta GTE mirrors (to no avail) .
I got a pair of these aftermarket mirrors from local MF (£10 each) - pretty naff when just bolted onto a car ! But the mirror shape is quite acceptable and they are cheap!

So undo the screw at back and release the parts - dont need the long plastic retaining strip at the top of next pic because the stalk on the mirror is retained by a ball/socket and will give plenty of adjustment!
I cut off the end section of the stalk as i wanted the mounting brackets to be no wider than the door frame.

Made 2 lugs and welded them in place on the door top frame .

Line up the mirror and bolt it up - for initial fit . I predrilled the two metal lugs and the stalk before welding them on , but i suppose you could drill the holes after welding.

Original rubber thingy was cut off at its base and then cut at an angle to sit flush along the top of door skin

Obviously will need to remove the mirror to fit this rubber boot in place - it hides the home made bracket very nicely and doesnt foul the rain channel on the car when the door is shut (i tried it on the viva before attempting it on these spare doors :) )

I contemplated making a triangular plate at the corner of the door frame/door skin then welding that in place then welding the lugs to that , but decided on attaching to the frame as i didnt really want to see a plate through the glass (from inside car) - but i suppose thats another way of fixing if you want the more conventional modern look :lol:
Cheers Jon
Last edited by Jon-HPF on Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby coggers » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:39 pm

Good work on the handles , nice to see you've followed it through 8)

I've got remote central locking on mine ( haven't used the locks for 5 years now ) and I've thought about retaining the chrome handles but losing the lock , trying to utilise the push button bit from a 4 door rear handle for a slightly less cluttered look. I'll get round to it one day..... :roll:
coggers
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:05 pm

Thanks Euan, Im tempted to rig up central locking and try to get the Toyota electric window motors to fit , will prob have to cut he door cards though , which i dont want to do .
Ive seen some remote electric window motors on ebay - as well as the remote central locking systems , so may go down that route .

i think i have some rear handles HC - with the solid push button , you can have them if you decide to do that job.
Cheers - Jon
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Modifications