Viva EPS

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Re: Viva EPS

Postby yoeddynz » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:31 am

Just wondering how this conversion has worked out and also- what year/type of Corsa was the eps off?
I think NZ gets Corsas, rebadged as Holdens, so I might be able to locate one. Otherwise maybe a toymota Mr2 one or something.

My modification fingers are getting twitchy.... :)
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:32 pm

Am getting this doen to my GT, alas got all the parts but other things need doing first so might be some time before images and helpful hints appear.

:goodluck:
pbottomley

Postby Jon-HPF » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:11 pm

Paul - you lazy bugger - eat more weatabix ! :D
Jon
"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:21 pm

Trust me it isn't about lack of food in me chops.... :wink:

Shell is almost 100% finished, once its at a point where steering needs to be thought about, and the new sump needs to be made we shall look at the steering at the same time....
pbottomley

Postby yoeddynz » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:45 pm

Well get a move on Paul. You can be my guinea pig on this one then... :D

I have now been offered a column in NZ for 150 quid. still too much once I tack on the little black widget box. I have asked on RRides for more info thinking a few may have used them but no replies.

Where else would be a good source for info on the eps and control boxes?
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby MattyE » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:14 pm

sorry for my hugely lazy lack of reply on this!!

the EPS conversion worked out good, ive been using the car pretty much daily since i did the conversion, its nice to be able to turn it up for parking and stuff, though i usually turn it right down low when driving to keep a nice "feel"

i used a corsa "B" (1993-2000) column but i think the corsa "C" one is almost the same - I got a control box off ebay, there are two types though, one has a lot of contoll and the other well... doesnt (steering has far too much assist even at minimum setting) unfortunatley i cant remember any distinguishing features so cant really advise which is which :(

the only thing i would suggest is beefing up the alternator and making sure your charge circuit wiring is good n healthy - the steering has the potential to draw a lot of current and the ECU cuts out the assist if its not getting enough juice - brown trousers moment if this happens during "spirited" driving - even more so when it cuts back in and you oversteer hugely :shock:

this might be usefull if you get a wonky column http://forums.corsa-b.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=14293

hope this helps :D
1978 Magnum 2300 4dr
1972 Firenza 2300 Sport SL
1999 Saab 93 SE
MattyE
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:36 pm

I got me a Corsa C column as it was cheaper than the Corsa B one, key and barrel which I can sell onwards when the time comes :D

I did find a whole load of other makes like Fiat and Ford ones that were cheaper, but the ready made off the shelf special control box pushed me towards the Vauxhall Corsa Unit. I will start reading what others have said or recommend when it comes to getting one.
pbottomley

Postby yoeddynz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:09 pm

Luckily I have a later model Rx7 alternator on my engine and I have ran much bigger cable for electrics. I could take my feed directly off the battery cable where it enters under the dash and run a appropriate fuse between to suit.

I'll continue the search for a cheaper column.... :D
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:01 am

I've knocked this fella down to $200...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 888394.htm

Is it the right one?
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva