Supercharging a 1256

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Supercharging a 1256

Postby Icedmunkie » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:10 pm

Is this just plain silly or possible?
Was speaking to a chap the other day who is into his superchargers and it got me thinking...
Anybody got any thoughts on this?
All Smoke...... No Poke
Icedmunkie
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Supercharging a 1256

Postby hbpeter » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:22 pm

I've thought of this a few times. Either using a period Shorrocks supercharger, if you can,
A: Find one
B:Afford it

The other idea was a unit off the new BMW Mini, lots of them on ebay, would need to make all custom manifolds etc, lower compression depending on how much extra psi your blowing. In the 60/70s you could buy a kit to supercharge many cars, Minis, Hearlds, Anglias, and Vivas. So it is possible.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby House » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:31 pm

It's also possible to do this....

If your unlucky enough.

I have a MG Metro turbo carb here ready to try this one day. I was going to make my own belt driven supercharger/turbo using an old leaf blower. I rebuilt my engine last year though so i'm not going to risk it just yet.
House
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Icedmunkie » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:20 am

Ahh I had though using new mini one too.

Have you got any more info on how you would do yours house? I am interested to do it to my old engine before i put the rebuilt one in!
Not forgotten about that adaption plate either, will get round to it in the new year!
All Smoke...... No Poke
Icedmunkie
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby House » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:12 pm

Not really got into it yet. I think a mini supercharger mounted on the cam side of the engine would look good. I'd be tempted to run a larger pulley to start with though. I might get round to it one day.
House
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lambaj » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:28 am

And there in lies the danger. Massive effort to carry out the conversion, and if you don't get the basics sorted, you punch through a piston or two, just because the timing was out or you got a bit carried away with the boost/compression ratios.
There are some good books out there - I applaude anybody who wants to have a go at this conversion, but just want to add that you need to understand the "rules" of forced induction........ else its holes in wallets and pistons...

If people are starting one of these conversions, keep us all informed. There maybe pitfalls we can help you avoid.

Coooool !!
Tony
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby dann01 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:22 pm

Heres a little snippet as to testify at how robust these little engines really are.

Used to work in Kidlington many years ago, and do the 35 mile drive each way from Henley in my Chevette... Hacking home one night, almight bang and tinckle made me stop. A look under the bonet, with engine still running, she was running on three cyliners, no dip stick, and a cloud of blue smoke from the exhaust.

Walked back, found dipstick, and drove the remaining 20 miles home on 3 cylinders, including Watlington Hill (Steep bugger)

Next day, head of. Big 50 pence sized hole in cylinder No 2... Despite this, the little thing got me home... In fact, have often wondered just how much more punishment it would have taken before it gave up completely, cos when I got home, it would still rev and pull, albeit uneavenly.

Another thought, the hole in the pic is also cylinder 2... Wonder if that's just coincidence, or if there are other forces involved?
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby viva2300 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:10 am

Ive played around a bit with a super from a BMW Mini.....its too much for the 1256 engine i think....dont half shift some air!
If you do use it, you will have to gear it right down i reckon....have a load of different pullys and work up from the biggest to the smallest....finding the ideal one somewhere in between.
A set of 1256 low compression pistons will help too (Mmmmm what are these in my garage?!)
Its possible to do, but just dont get greedy with the boost...it wont handle much as standard....you can go forged pistons & rods, that will help a lot but tres expensive!

Paul
S. EAST AREA REP
1972 Viva 2300 SL 4DR
1973 Viva 2300 SL 4DR + one on paper.
1973 Viva 2300 SL EState
1973 Viva 1800 SL 4DR not for long
1971 Viva 1600 SL 4DR AUTO
1974 HP Firenza Droopsnoot

TOO MANY CARS NOT ENOUGH MONEY OR TIME
viva2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:05 am

viva2300 wrote:you can go forged pistons & rods, that will help a lot but tres expensive!

Paul

And where do you get them from then? Don't mix up your perverse fetish for mini's and the viva sonny :D
pbottomley

Postby viva2300 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:55 am

Dunno what you mean mr B :new2_shrug: :whistle3:
If you want to spend lots of money, anything is possible. Someone will make you a set of rods and pistons...you just gotta chuck loadsa dosh at it.
That new Mini super is a nice bit of kit....i reckon a 2.3 with that on board...well...

Paul
S. EAST AREA REP
1972 Viva 2300 SL 4DR
1973 Viva 2300 SL 4DR + one on paper.
1973 Viva 2300 SL EState
1973 Viva 1800 SL 4DR not for long
1971 Viva 1600 SL 4DR AUTO
1974 HP Firenza Droopsnoot

TOO MANY CARS NOT ENOUGH MONEY OR TIME
viva2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva