HB + Mazda 24v V6. Now sold and gone to a good home :-)

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Re: hB with Mazda rotary turbo. 24V V6 next.....

Postby hbpeter » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:46 pm

You continue to amaze!

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby yoeddynz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:41 pm

Awwwww shucks. :D
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:20 pm

Someones got something to tell us!!

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby viva les vegas » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:34 pm

Sweeeet!! But why didn't I get an email when you uploaded it??
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:03 am

I've edited Peters post so it shows the video directly... makes it a lot easier on folks :)
pbottomley

Postby jpsmit » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:22 am

Sadly on another forum comes the word - the engine is knackered
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby yoeddynz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:51 pm

:oops: I have not updated the thread on here for ages. Now I feel rude!

Yeah it's all go. The 2.5 litre engine did indeed start making very loud clacking sounds from one cam bank- possibly a knackered lifter but not sure. So it got pulled out and a quick swap with the 2 litre that had originally been in the car for the setup. This was all in the last week before our big planned trip up north for the Oldschool.co.nz nationals. :D :(

With many late nights and some luck we managed to get it up and running again and made it to the nats...

I'll say this now- wow the V6 soundtrack is fantastic!!!!! :shock: :D 8) I love rotaries but they don't sound particularly amazing. But this V6, even though it's 50bhp down in the 2.5 fitted a few days before, has such a lovely burble at idle rising to a lovely low growl and then at high revs sounds more v6 touring car. All this with very little thought into my exhaust. In fact it's still just the same 2 1/4" straight through with 3 resonators that I built for the rotary.

So we have just got back last night from a mini roadtrip we had planned after the nats. We did about 1000 miles and considering the engine was an unknown quality 50quid special it went really well. Only a leaky fuel tank outlet being an issue.
The engine suits the Viva perfectly. Current axle is 3.7 to 1 and could be quite a bit higher but even still we have seen 35mpg. Much better than the rotary. Plus so much more low down grunt. Nothing compared to a V8 or even an Essex v6 but more than enough.

I'll copy and paste the latest updates up next.

Alex
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: My HB evolution continues- now Mazda 24valve V6 powered.

Postby yoeddynz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:34 pm

Updates copied and pasted across...

exhaust time. I thought that instead of building the headers from heavy steel pipe I would instead use lightweight wood. The car would be greener and smell nice too.I could also paint them with house paint. In any colour! So with this in mind I built my headers....

I then realised that all those gaps would let the fumes escape and that would be no good really. Plus the wood might burn. So steel it was. Started off with my little mig welder and then the co2 ran out. So I then tigged some bits together which looked nice and pretty with neat flat welds but my current argon bottle is almost out and I need that for some more alloy bits in next few days. So luckily my boss let me borrow a mig from work.

I have tried to get the runners matched as best possible within the room I have. Two are almost spot on and one is 10mm longer.

N/S one finished but for end flange.

Its not really that important as the rest of the exhaust is going to remain 2" for now which will probably make more difference to performance then header lengths. I'll be using exhaust wrap as always- I love the stuff. I think it works well and makes me itchy. Certainly must cut down engine bay temps as on the rotaries I could place my hand on the exhaust pipes with engine running.
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:35 pm

My new computer just crashed after having typed loads!!! Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark it. So now a quick update.

The exhaust is finished. Im happy with it as it was tight under there and had to build mid section from litle sectors, upside down under car with sandflies biting. It should flow ok- not sure how noisy it will be yet.

Spray bombed engine bay. I was planning to get painter at work to do proper job but that can wait till later in year, just wanna drive it. looks much better. i even masked some bits.

I painted the underside of bonnet too. long overdue.

Also I started painting inlet manifold. I had to wait till I finished my home made idle control valve - using old mazda bits and made to bolt to rear on plenum underneth. Manifold all etch primed and waiting to wrinkle paint it.

I have re-routed brake lines through out so they wont need to go across bulkhead. Will look neater and easier to keep clean.

The propshaft all done and balanced. luckily old propshaft safety loop fitted easily in new position with a few mods.

I have finished building Megasquirt Ecu and just need to test it. then make ignitor box. have some mitsi V6 coils off a GTslow I think. will mount them on bulkhead and mount igniter box nearby so have nice fat leads to feed coils.

Thermostat housing used to mount on back of the block but adaptor plate is in the way so I have luckily discovered that the rx7 bell housing has a tapped hole to utilise.

So that was nice. Just need to finish off the pipework next.

Built a little under car surge tank. I need one as this Viva has a small tank and the pickup can be left exposed easily.

Its version two- bigger than version one. Its made to accept an in tank pump after having discovered how much external

pumps cost$$$!

We now have a second classic car (and was free!) - back up for the Nats if this doesn't make it. Hannah has claimed it and needs to start a thread. Its cool, blue and very English.
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:37 pm

Some latest photos..

Triple checked bonnet clearance. Close but fine. Also finished all the heater pipes.

Rear coolant pipework all done..

My coils- from a mitsi V6. The bracket was huge but once chopped down fits perfectly on bulkhead behind cam cover.

Building up another engine now. A 2.5L KLZE. Hopefully will sling it in this weekend. I had to work Monday!!! First Monday for ages. 5 day week- yuck! But will take extra time off next week :-)
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications