HC Mods, steering

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

HC Mods, steering

Postby mork » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:20 am

Hi I am now fitting a rover V8 in hc and am having problems with steering shaft touching the starter motor even after buying a new shorter starter motor, a Road Runner,it will still not fit the thought was to use another rack and pinion with the pinion further over to the drivers side to clear the starter,Has anyone heard of this or familiar with rack and pinion steering units Many thanks Mike.
TXT321
mork
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: HC Mods, steering

Postby simon cummings » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:47 pm

Hi Mork, scroll down a few topics and look for moving HC steering, what you find might help. :goodluck:
V6 HC 2.8 INJECTION
65 HA DELUXE
HA 248.
simon cummings
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby GTpete » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:33 pm

On my first Rover V8 (now chevy V8) engined GT I spaced an HC rack about 2.5 inches further forward using round metal spacers welded to sub frame and used a Vauxhall victor /ventora steering shaft (same rubber coupling as HB ) to join rack to splined steering column made of 2 HB shafts, so had a spline at both ends...
GTpete
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby mork » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:51 am

Hello again,thanks guys this has started a new line of thought I can see moveing the rack foward will get away from the starter motor,the biggest problem at the moment,the coupling is hard against the starter moveing foward and using a universal joint with a smaller diameter is a better idea All I have to do is get it past the vehicle modification inspector.Thank you Mork
TXT321
mork
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Modifications