Gyphon designs 4 branch melting HT leads!

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Gyphon designs 4 branch melting HT leads!

Postby Retro morgs » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:50 pm

Hello chaps,i have a gryphon designs 4 branch and full system fitted to my 2300 SL but am unable to use the car as it just melts HT leads after a few minutes running. I tried a cheap length of heatsleeve cut into four and placed over the leads but the problem still persists :( Has anybody else that has one of these manifolds had this problem,if so what was the solution that you came up with? At the mo it looks to me like i've got to buy a set of proper kevlar heat sleeves for the leads and heat wrap the manifold. Does that sound like the answer,or do i also need to buy a special set of leeds to withstand higher temperature's? Any help appreciated as i've had the car a little while now and what with one thing or another have been unable to drive it for pleasure,which of course is no good for a viva nut!
68 HB bitza,72 HC 1159 Deluxe,74 HC 1800 SL auto,74 FE Ventora,94 2.8 Frontera
Retro morgs
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Gyphon designs 4 branch melting HT leads!

Postby midlands_nick » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:21 am

blimey thats awful... would have thought silicon leads would have been up the the task ?? maybe you could use sopme of those things they used to fit to astra mk3's to extend the plug ends up away from the exhaust manifold a bit..

(google astra 8v engines and you should see the thing I mean in the images)
midlands_nick
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby shamm » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:18 pm

You need the leads with the 45 degree angle in the plug cap, or you need to bend the straight cap to have the bend.
Then clip the lead into the guide pulled taught and use a tie wrap to stop it slipping back down.

Droopsnoot owners also have similar problems with this and use the kevlar heat sleeves to protect the leads.
You could also wrap the top pipe of the manifold or make a longer heat shield to protect the end lead.

It's also not helping that you have the very first manifold on the car, they moved the top pipe back for the ones after that and have recently addressed this issue again and moved the top pipe completely.

Steve.
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Retro morgs » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:54 pm

Yeh,that's kinda what i thought was the case. Right i'll have to get the sleeves and some exhaust wrap. Where are those leads available from steve?
Retro morgs
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby dann01 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:20 pm

Not found it a problem for mine, though when we fitted the head during the bacon week end of the engine move, we did put the heat shield gasket on, which helps some I guess.

Then I am using 4 core 10mm leads which have fairly chunky end caps, and the leads are good and firm in the lead tidies on the rocker cover.

Has to be said, this is a lot better than the Janspeed patern when the pipes do a kind of loop here and a loop there, get so close to the rocker or bang against the chassis... Now that did melt a few leads. And the plugs were a bugger to get to.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby Retro morgs » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:36 pm

Ah,sounds like you have the later design then danny. The only way mine would be right is if the top pipe came out further before bending backwards :(
Retro morgs
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Modifications