Newer vauxhall parts

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Newer vauxhall parts

Postby RustyG » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:14 pm

I have an n reg astra just sat up rotting at my mates yard, im having a few bits off of it for my nova. what im wondering is how viable it would be to have the brake system off of the astra and put it on the hc (im working on the theory that they are both vauxhalls so it should be possible) and also the wiper gubbins from the astra (3 speed as aposed to the single very slow speed on the hc) what does every one recon>? would it be doable, or should i say reasonably easily doable?
72 Viva SL
86 Nova Hatchback
87 Nova Saloon
RustyG
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Newer vauxhall parts

Postby Jon-HPF » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:13 pm

Anything is "doable" - doesnt have to be Vauxhall either.
All depends on what you want to achieve with the brakes - ie , the whole system (including servo / master cylinder etc). And also , how good your problem solving / fabrication and welding skills are like !
The front astra brakes are discs - and probably totally diiferent to the Viva (even if disc braked) so would involve getting the discs and calipers to fit to a HC stub axle without fouling the wheel / suspension.
Lots of work and headscratching me thinks - Others have used different calipers - like the princess 4 pots etc with other discs - but still this requires fabricating caliper mounts etc .

The Wiper motor is the easiest to do - again wont be a strait swap , but can be done.

Jon
"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby RustyG » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:03 pm

i had a feelin that that would be the case. My mate is pretty good on the welding and is always up for a challenge. The brakes on my hc aint all that and i was hoping to be able to use the astras whole brake system just because i have it all just sitting there and it saves me having to source and buy new parts, but it does sound like it could be a bit of a nightmare. Im definatly going to at least try a wiper transplant, i recon with a bit of cunning bodging it should be possible, Ive spoke to a few mates and they are up for giving it a go so we shall see.....
72 Viva SL
86 Nova Hatchback
87 Nova Saloon
RustyG
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:21 pm

If its in reasonable condition the standard HC brakes are good enough for the cars performance, make sure the system is working properly before changing it. I dout the Astra system would be that much better.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby viva les vegas » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:30 am

Just in addition to what Peter has said, getting replacement parts will be easier, even if overall braking performance is unchanged.
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby RustyG » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:06 pm

Availability of parts was one of the reasons i wanted to do a brake conversion. Ive decided to give the brakes a service, see if i can sort them out, if they dont improve then i may still try the conversion.my mate has just fallen in love with the hc and it just so happens that he loves working on motors and has a very well equiped work shop, so it looks like im going to be able to call on him for his experties (as you have probably guesses im not he most technicaly minded person, but im learning, one repair at a time!!), hes been on line and sourced loads of spares for me and he is already talking about reconditioning the engine!!! I wanted to put a 1.6 crossflow in her (another mate has one hes just taken out his mk1 capri) but ive kinda been talked out of that now. My mate recons with a bit of work the original engine will be more than enough for what i need (and less likely to start breaking things). I would still like to put a slightly larger lump in her though (if i had the money i would love to put a supercharged v8 in her, but unfortunatly i think that for now at least thats a bit pie in the sky)
72 Viva SL
86 Nova Hatchback
87 Nova Saloon
RustyG
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:32 pm

A good 1256 isnt a bad engine. Not the fastest thing around but it will plod on all day every day. Once set up correctly they are reliable and not too bad on fuel. Just dont expect to blast around at 90mph! They will keep up with traffic around town, and cruise comfortably at 60.

Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby Jon-HPF » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:34 pm

HBPeter wrote:A good 1256 isnt a bad engine. Not the fastest thing around but it will plod on all day every day. Once set up correctly they are reliable and not too bad on fuel. Just dont expect to blast around at 90mph! They will keep up with traffic around town, and cruise comfortably at 60.

Peter

Well said that man 8) - fit a decent electronic ignition and maybe the Type 9 , 5 speed box and its a very good engine - simple to work on and (even when not looked after) tends to just keep on going.

Jon
"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby RustyG » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:31 pm

i think i am gonna keep the origional lump now, ive just found out that the spare head that came with her has been through an acid bath and has been ported! im gonna get it skimmed a little, my mate recons he has a webber that i can fit on her! a few weekends work and she will be runnin sweet as a nut!!
72 Viva SL
86 Nova Hatchback
87 Nova Saloon
RustyG
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby hbpeter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:46 pm

DOnt skim it too much, you will end up with pinking problems due to to high a CR. If your mate has the manifold as well the Weber should be a good improvement.

Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Return to Modifications