5 Speed g'box

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

5 Speed g'box

Postby rustyleaves » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi everyone, finally got my HA on the road after years of it moving from driveway to garage around my family! I've got a 1256 engine in it from an '84 Chevette and was wondering if any one knew if there was any easy/cheap 5 speed box conversion for it? I did a run up to the Ace in it and thought a 5th gear would be nice!
rustyleaves
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: 5 Speed g'box

Postby pbottomley » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:54 pm

Hello, I will keep this one simple and short (if possible):

Yes a 5 speed conversion has been developed for the Viva using a Type 9 ford gearbox by a very helpful man on this forum with a user-name of "House".

Basically one needs to cut up your existing gearbox in order to make a bell housing that can be bolted to a type 9, a modification is also required to the flywheel so it can fit a Ford Sierra clutch plate and a custom clutch arm. You would also need a new prop-shaft and crossbeam to support the gearbox. House I think can do most of this work for you (at a cost).

Now on the HB / HC and Chevette this is a straight forward fit, BUT not on the HA as it has a much smaller prop-shaft tunnel, which implies the gearbox will not fit in the tunnel as its larger than the original gearbox. One MAY have to cut the gearbox tunnel and this creates a whole series of issues in itself. I have one of these gearboxes all set aside for my HA but have yet to find the time to fit it and confirm my fears.

Why not speak to "House" and find out some details .... :goodluck:
pbottomley

Postby House » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:52 pm

There's no easy or cheap way of doing it.

Have a read through this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10619

Lots of time and effort but worth it if you're doing the miles. If you've got access to a big lathe then i can talk you through it and give you the measurements etc.
House
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby rustyleaves » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:26 pm

Thanks guys, all very helpful. I was hoping for a simple 'just fit 'box from a . . . . . ' Think I'll keep the standard box for now. If the money and time shows itself I may transplant a bigger engine and 'box combo. The conversion you've done looks great! I like the workshop you've got access to. Once again thanks!
rustyleaves
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Modifications