Canadian Firenza SL coupe Upgrade

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Canadian Firenza SL coupe Upgrade

Postby conor218 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:50 pm

Hi
I started the HC adventure some months back in the Say Hello section, work picked up straight after and I haven’t really done much since. I lost my way a little with what I wanted to end up with, a can-am 302 clone or a slightly modified stock car, my reason for dropping In a large lump and new drive train was basically its easily available over here, but I did a few figures and to do It right was some huge dollars, then I got to thinking I have so many original spares, engines, axles, front cross-members and boxes of miscellaneous stuff I should go down the stock route.
My plan is to try and keep it road legal, do some closed circuit racing with it, tarmac or gravel I haven’t made my mind up. But it might be as simple as changing wheels so maybe both.
Here Is the latest photo, the blue one Is the main car and the stripped shell on its side, was my donor for parts, I haven’t got the heart to scrap it, even though Its fairly rotted. Getting panels Is a nightmare In England and none existent over here and also I might have the only two coupes In Western Canada.
So Hopefully from now on, time and money permitting the Firenza Coupe 2000 race project Is a go.
The 2.0 GT High compression engine I hope to rebuild/upgrade and drop In the car.
Just started messing around with the rear brakes to see what discs and calipers I can make fit inside the 13" i read about the MG sprite for wire wheels, but after specing them out I dont think they will work, looking into a company down in the USA to have three made, then I can mount the new caliper bracket on the axle.
Please ask as many questions as you want and If you dont mind I will ask a lot to Vauxhall Viva society.
Last edited by conor218 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conor218
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Canadian Firenza SL coupe Upgrade

Postby conor218 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:14 pm

Hi
Forgot to add I plan on Installing new Spax adjustables shocks all round, South Yorkshire Springs Ltd HPF springs all round, maybe fabricate new rear link arms and front ajustable arms all with superflex bushes and I'm going to try and fit 7x13 rear 6x13 front 8 spoke running Toyo 185/60's 205/60's
As things turn up I will post updates, want to mock up all new parts first and then strip shell and do all the panel work, reinforcement, roll cage paint stuff.
I plan on posting as much info as I can to help anyone else who want idea's for there project, but please bare in mind there's no time frame, when I get any spare dollars she will move along otherwise unfortunatley she will stay fairly untouched with only zero cost items getting done, what I mean Is labour only Items.
Thanks
I Look forward to this project and sharing information.
conor218
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby thomas » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:18 pm

It looks very tidy and well-preserved conor218, I hope we'll get to see it out of its hidey-hole and into sunlight; before and after you tackle any bodywork, paint and stuff. They're rare enough over here now unmodified, once you start cutting away the bad metal and are left with thin-air, the other one might be a handy reference. I like the looks of the HC back and front, especially the Firenza, the HB front end is spookily similar to the square-headlamped HCs but the rear of the HB is uninspiring, the HC backside and tail-lamp however is iconic. Good Luck.
thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby michaelmate » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:54 pm

What you have planned is great ! Its what we over here call 'old school' .......mods that would have been done in the 70's and 80's , spax shocks are the best you can buy , ive always used them ....crank up the settings on the front and it'll corner like its on rails !!!
8 spoke wheels, everything over here had them in the 80;s , good choice !
Your spec reminds me of my first viva !!! :coolpics: :goodluck:
Projects........Projects........Projects!
HC 391
michaelmate
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbpeter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:11 pm

Agree with the Spax, set them pretty hard on the front and not much more than standard on the back, turns in very nicely! Looking forward to following this build.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:23 am

Interesting comments on the Spax, I have them on my Firenza and all I've heard from anyone else has been that they're possibly the worst choice for HC dampers that you can get. That said, other than having some made or finding some Bilsteins to refurbish, they're also possibly the only thing you can get.

I can't tell with mine as I have some other suspension issues that need sorting before I can play, though I might try turning the fronts up in relation to the rears - I've always kept them pretty much the same up to now.

Nice car, though, look forward to seeing some photos as it progresses. I thought there was a maximum age for cars in Canada that would stop you running it on the road, or did I misunderstand that?
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby conor218 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:03 pm

Hi
Not heard about the age limit to cars on road, I will check... I did ask the other day in the registry office, and they said once its ready to go back on the road get an out of province inspection done and you will be good then to get a plate for it...
Got my repair sills in the post today, ordered two of each just in case.
here's a pic of the inside and engine bay, been doing labour only stuff latley, trying to save up now to get a good MIG welder and bottle.
Have confirmed with the place in the USA about making some custom rear rotors, just waiting for costs.
conor218
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:27 pm

That looks in pretty good condition, look forward to seeing some more.

The note about maximum age came from something I read many years ago, about why Canada wasn't a source for spares for HCs. It might be nothing, it might be that I'm not remembering correctly or that the article was incorrect. If your local guys have said it will be OK, that's great.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby timbuk » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:40 am

no age limit on cars here in canada the old vivas and firenzas all rotted away man theres nuthin left around here you cant buy a gasket anywhere!
car guy from canada
timbuk
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Modifications