RV8 into a HC

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Re: RV8 into a HC

Postby martin-reyland » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:58 pm

Spence wrote:Fair play, I know you weighed yours, can't see the block being 40 odd more than your block, that would make my block a good 70-80 kg?!

Gonna try an get hold of some scales now coz you got me thinking :wink:

Your block weighs 87kg, mine weighs 41.
martin-reyland
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:07 pm

That explains a lot on why i have a bad back.... having dragged the old 2000cc slant four engine to the shed like a hero i lifted it onto the workbench on me own... the hardest part was the last few inches ... which ironically is what the ex misses always said about me... :lol: :lol:

For me the key is to get that lump of metal as far back in the car as you can without going silly
pbottomley

Postby martin-reyland » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:38 pm

pbottomley wrote:For me the key is to get that lump of metal as far back in the car as you can without going silly

I agree but it's not that easy if you still want to retain things like heater, gear lever position, a clutch pedal! etc etc, sometimes where it fits is where it has to go!
martin-reyland
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Spence » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:37 am

martin-reyland wrote:
pbottomley wrote:For me the key is to get that lump of metal as far back in the car as you can without going silly

I agree but it's not that easy if you still want to retain things like heater, gear lever position, a clutch pedal! etc etc, sometimes where it fits is where it has to go!

well as it stands my engine is going to be mounted 2" behind where the slant 4 would have been, allowing me to retain a heater etc, if i wanted to go silly my gearbox has the option of a mid mounted stick :wink:

interestingly enough i am going to take a leaf out of the chevette sportpart manual, and move my front axle forward, on the chevette its by the width of a bush (around 70mm) on mine iam going to do about 40-50mm as 70 isn't feasable on the bodywork. Iam told by those who have raced the chevettes with this mod, it improved the handling no end, and obviously increased high speed stability.
Theres more than one way to skin a cat :lol:
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby martin-reyland » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:34 pm

Spence wrote:
martin-reyland wrote:

well as it stands my engine is going to be mounted 2" behind where the slant 4 would have been, allowing me to retain a heater etc, if i wanted to go silly my gearbox has the option of a mid mounted stick :wink:

interestingly enough i am going to take a leaf out of the chevette sportpart manual, and move my front axle forward, on the chevette its by the width of a bush (around 70mm) on mine iam going to do about 40-50mm as 70 isn't feasable on the bodywork. Iam told by those who have raced the chevettes with this mod, it improved the handling no end, and obviously increased high speed stability.
Theres more than one way to skin a cat :lol:

If I understand correctly you're moving the front cradle forwards by 50mm (ish)? Will that leave enough for the front wheels to turn in without catching the front panel or front of the front arch?? By the sounds of it your engine will sit roughly in the same position as mine, I couldn't go any further back and still retain the heater and bulkhead panel.

I'm off to the trimmers tomorrow to see how they're getting on with my interior :mrgreen:
martin-reyland
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Spence » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:15 pm

martin-reyland wrote:If I understand correctly you're moving the front cradle forwards by 50mm (ish)? Will that leave enough for the front wheels to turn in without catching the front panel or front of the front arch?? By the sounds of it your engine will sit roughly in the same position as mine, I couldn't go any further back and still retain the heater and bulkhead panel.

I'm off to the trimmers tomorrow to see how they're getting on with my interior :mrgreen:

mmm upholstery! bet you can't wait 8)

yeah moving it forward 50 ish mm, i haven't got a front valance, just a front splitter like yours, also got the old nail kit which appears to have more of a generous arch line toward the front.
Getting zero offset wheels made too so the swing will be limited hopefully, jag wishbones are quite long!
as for the heaterbox, iam going to use either a rover one, or the one i removed from the 56 plate tigra i helped break up last weekend!
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:41 pm

martin-reyland wrote:

I've taken the heater out of mine for the time being, and thinking of getting an all in one A/C mounted on the passenger side of the bulkhead, and routing all ducting through the left fresh air duct.
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:43 am

Lexus v8 weighs in at 175kg without alternator/starter etc

Not that this helps much as you already have your chev but still info for others....
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby GTpete » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:55 pm

The big V8 plus is the exhaust sound!
GTpete
GT Viva
GT Viva

Previous

Return to Modifications