RV8 into a HC

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Re: RV8 into a HC

Postby oli8925 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:22 pm

Lexarse quad cam v8s are lovely, there was a place in Brighton that that had one in a scrapper and kept urging me to put it in the Viva. They are huge though and probably weigh about the same as a small moon.
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:23 am

I don't think they are super heavy as all alloy. But yeah the size 'box' you need is 600x600x600 apparently. I think they would fit a viva but it would be the steering column causing grief and the master cylinders would need repositioning.

Very cheap power though. And if you bust one, if, then just buy another cheap complete engine and drop it in.

See here for a friends toymotor sillycar with one installed....

yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby ian24ian » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:30 pm

Are RV8s expensive to tune???? without a doubt, there are cheaper ways to tune them, but you need to experiment, or know the spec of the engine you want to build,
SBF very tuneable, lots and lots of aftermarket stuff now available, and if you fit after market ally heads, its not much heavier than the Rover, from memory its 29" long which makes it quite long, but shortie water pumps are available, and use a Ford Bronco sump and pickup, it should bolt into a viva, varity of gearboxes available as factory options, including the t56 6 speed,
lexus is a good engine but its HUGE, can be made to make huge amounts of power, reasonably light, but does not come with a manual gearbox, conversion bellhousings are available from people like Castlemaine rod shop or Dellow conversions to take the supra box.
I suppose the best real option would be the all alloy Chev V8, LS3?? or even the LS9, thats the all singing all dancing supercharged corvette engine
A rotter and a scoundrel, :)
ian24ian
GT Viva
GT Viva

Location: Sunny Bexhill, any further south, and my feet are wet!!!!!!!!

Postby Spence » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:38 pm

hi all, sorry i haven't been around for a while, long story you don't want to hear!

long story short, i ditched the v6 idea in favour of a chevy ls (steel block) running through a tremec t56 6 speed and salisbury 4ha axle with jag lsd, iam also running jag front suspension and an "old nail" flat front kit (thanks Ade!)

the chevy isn't that heavy really but still is going to be a lot of weight up front, i just hope that once up and running, i can tweak a few things to calm the understeer/oversteer
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby martin-reyland » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:43 pm

Spence wrote:the chevy isn't that heavy really but still is going to be a lot of weight up front, i just hope that once up and running, i can tweak a few things to calm the understeer/oversteer

From my calculations I reckon your engine weighs just over a 1/4 of a ton Spence.
martin-reyland
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:53 pm

Spence wrote:hi all, sorry i haven't been around for a while, long story you don't want to hear!

long story short, i ditched the v6 ......

That's sad to hear, sorry Spence your energy was somewhat wasted... :(
pbottomley

Postby Spence » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:46 pm

martin-reyland wrote:
Spence wrote:the chevy isn't that heavy really but still is going to be a lot of weight up front, i just hope that once up and running, i can tweak a few things to calm the understeer/oversteer

From my calculations I reckon your engine weighs just over a 1/4 of a ton Spence.

Really? Over 250kg? To move about it doesn't feel much heavier than the v6! The old sbc with steel heads weigh just over a 1/4, mines got everything the same as yours apart from my block is steel not alloy. Would be interesting to put it on scales...
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Spence » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:53 pm

pbottomley wrote:
Spence wrote:hi all, sorry i haven't been around for a while, long story you don't want to hear!

long story short, i ditched the v6 ......

That's sad to hear, sorry Spence your energy was somewhat wasted... :(

I didn't write that well haha, the long story as to why I haven't been around for a while is down to my now ex wife :shock:
It's martins fault I ditched the v6, and as the reason for the v6 in the first place is gone now, a nice v8 has since been purchased 8)
Hope that makes sense
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby martin-reyland » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:52 am

Spence wrote:
martin-reyland wrote:

Really? Over 250kg? To move about it doesn't feel much heavier than the v6! The old sbc with steel heads weigh just over a 1/4, mines got everything the same as yours apart from my block is steel not alloy. Would be interesting to put it on scales...

Mine weighed in at 218kg inc clutch assembly (without aircon compressor) and they reckon the iron blocked version is 43kg heavier, so my calculations add upto 261kg.
martin-reyland
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Spence » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:20 pm

Fair play, I know you weighed yours, can't see the block being 40 odd more than your block, that would make my block a good 70-80 kg?!

Gonna try an get hold of some scales now coz you got me thinking :wink:
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications