Quick rack

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Re: Quick rack

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:07 pm

I take it the bearing is isolated somehow from the EP140 oil that will be in the rack? I've never taken a rack apart so not sure of the layout.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby chrismc » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:37 pm

No its not isolated. Is EP140 the recommended oil for the rack? I read on a Jenson Healey forum that people were using EP90. I have never heard of EP140.
chrismc
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:07 pm

If the rack is filled with gear oil then the bearing will get lubricated every time you turn the wheels. My rack has just been filled with oil and leaks a little through the pinion seal every time the wheels are turned. It will settle eventually when the correct level is established. So I wouldn't worry about lubrication too much.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby chrismc » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:30 pm

Thanks for that. I reckon it will be fine too. I'll probably only do 1000 miles per annum so I don't think wear will be an issue. :D :thanx:
chrismc
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:09 am

Yes, it's in the Haynes book, and on here somewhere I think as well. "Tighten the clips in position on one boot only. Stand the unit on end, refill the housing with 1/4 pint (no more) of Castrol 'Hipress' (or equivalent EP SAE 140 oil) and then refit the other boot and tighten the clips."

I got some EP140 off the internet, not too expensive for a litre as I recall. I let some oil out of mine when I did one of the boots, and need to get around to taking the rack off so I can empty out the old and put in some new stuff. I don't want to just stick some in using a syringe around the edge of the boot as I don't know how much is left and the "no more" note implies there is an issue with too much.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby chrismc » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:40 pm

Nice one EP140 ordered. :D
chrismc
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:48 pm

droopsnoot wrote:.......the "no more" note implies there is an issue with too much.

Yes there is an issue and I found it! When you turn the steeering wheel the oil gets pushed from boot to boot and equals out. because it's thick and there is little clearance for it to move quickly it pressureizes the pinion seal and leaks out. It eventually stops when there is just enough left. You just have to clean up the garage floor for a while!
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:42 am

Oh, that's quite cool - self-emptying until the level is correct. I haven't yet got around to fitting the improved rear crank seal, so I park over a piece of plastic anyway.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby yoeddynz » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:10 am

Have you tried this quickrack out yet? I bought one for our chevette ages ago from Tim at TJ. It too was about 2.5 lock to lock. I was running 195 section tyres. It never felt overly heavy but then it was a lighter chevette with a light rotary. The steering in my Viva is heavy enough. Keen on going quick rack but thinking of adding a eps column beforehand so I can have my cake and eat it too.. :)
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby volvofirenza » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:13 pm

hi have you got a link for the rack and pinion kit please
volvofirenza
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications