Viva hc engine transplant ideas

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Viva hc engine transplant ideas

Postby Vivahc1971 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:54 pm

Hi all, after some advice on what seems to be the easiest engine to fit in a hc , would rather not having to modify the bulkhead, but modifying tunnel and making mounts and so on isnt an issue
Vivahc1971
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Viva hc engine transplant ideas

Postby hbpeter » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:42 pm

Probably the Ford Crossflow, if you can find one is easiest. Pinto. Look around on the forum, plenty of topics for different transplants.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby 1972nail » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:40 pm

Common and popular one is the 'Red Top'. Not the easiest or cheapest but fashionable. Nissan 200ZX is a lot easier, Some of the Vauxhall/Izuzu diesels would be a good economical choice but again not easy. Mazda MX5 engines have been fitted but the gear lever is very far back.

Various V6 and V8 engines have also been shoehorned in.

The old Slant 4 would be great. 1800 is OK but 2300 is better. Easy to fit as it was an original option. You can live with the standard axle with the 1800 if you take it easy at the traffic lights!

Remember that if you add more than 25% extra power you'll need better brakes. The standard axle is the limiting factor as far as additional power is concerned. 90 to 100bhp is it's absolute limit.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby pbottomley » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:16 pm

<quote> Hi all, after some advice on what seems to be the easiest engine to fit in a hc </quote> I would say a 1256cc OHV viva engine is the easiest to fit...
pbottomley

Postby 1972nail » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:32 pm

I felt like saying that but thought it too cheeky! ....trust Mr Bottomley not to worry and state the obvious! :roll:
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Vivahc1971 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:09 pm

Yes fitting a 1256cc would be easy, but I like different and without modding to much of the body I can return to standard rather easily will be keeping all the original stuff in the shed, car been off the road since '88 so at least there will be another one back on the road
Vivahc1971
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby lord13 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:54 pm

2300 slant, easy as ...
brilliant motor, if you want extra go then modify a lotus twin cam head ( plug up and re-drill oilways etc ) but you prob wont need to go that far because...
ford x-flow , easy fit, without cutting bulkhead, just modify the sump a little, 5 spd type 9 fits a treat too, although the gear lever will foul the handbrake, either a) fit a dash mounted victor one, or b) a hydraulic one that you can put anywhere ( mot man might moan though) ... but where a x-flow goes, so will a pinto or a I4 8v / 16v... or even better a zetec, these will take the type 9 or a later mt-75.
Best zetec isn't really a zetec tho, its a sigma ( zetec S or SE ) and for that you'll need to mod the bellhousing.

V6 essex fits without bulkhead mods too...although the steering column will foul the oil filter, so fit a remote one.

Red top? way too expensive, the zetec will cover that units power output but if you really want vauxhall dont ignore the ecotec, it really is a good motor especially in 2.2 form. gets a lot of bad press but it a fine unit, and very cheap... carlton box should fit also, or buy a scrap omega and swap the lot over.

its all down to your budget and ability, personally for cheap instant useable power i'd go for the Zetec ( 2.0 L will need a modified water rail tho, 1.8 and 1.6 wont).
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Vivahc1971 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:37 pm

Decided to keep vauxhall in vauxhall and gone the 2300 slant route
Vivahc1971
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Modifications