Mondeo st220 engine swap

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Mondeo st220 engine swap

Postby Johnson4130 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:36 pm

Hi, i have recently discovered the Vauxhall viva and how cheap to buy and cool they are. I am thinking of buying one and doing an engine swap to something modern, the Mondeo st220 being the specific one i have in mind. The only problem i am having is that i am not sure how hard it will be to fit one into a Viva. I have heard account of someone swapping an Essex V6 into a viva from another forum and allegedly that is a relatively easy swap so i wondered if the two engine are at all similarly sized?
Really my question is does anyone have any experience of this particular engine swap or know if an st220 engine would fit into a viva at all (i don't mind doing some cutting and welding)

I did find this link which has a drawing with basic dimensions of an st220 engine but i have been unable to find a similar drawing of a viva engine or engine bay or an Essex V6
http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/wp-cont ... 4_2003.pdf

Any help is much appreciated
James
Johnson4130
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Mondeo st220 engine swap

Postby 1972nail » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:54 pm

Hi James, and welcome to the world of Vivas.

The humble OHV viva was never designed to handle much more than about 80bhp. You will need to upgrade the brakes, rear axle and suspension to make the car safe and reliable. Many of the parts from the bigger engined cars would be direct bolt on upgrades and plentyful enough in years gone past. Unfortunately now the OHC parts are getting hard to find and in many cases almost impossible. Yes, you can modify and fit axles from dfifferent makes and brakes from many sources but considerable skills and knowledge are needed to ensure everything works safely.

Many of the converted cars you see at shows etc have been done years ago when the right parts were easily and cheaply sourced or had loads of money and time spent on them to adapt different parts to fit.

Yes, you could start with an OHC car with the right bits fitted as standard but the axle is only good for about 180 bhp, there's no available LSD, and OHC cars are very desireable in original form. Meaning that converting a good OHC car will probably drop it's value considerably.

So, before you start pulling a Viva apart consider if you're prepared to spend loads of time and money sourcing rare parts or adapting other bits to fit.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby rizzo » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:07 pm

Well firstly if your planning a transplant you have to be of the mindset that it will fit whatever, not sure on the ST whether its been done or not but seen plenty of V8s fitted so it will go in. (been there done that)
You have a lot to consider as said, axles, suspension, brakes, and updating, wheels, tyres, steering redirection, pedal box mods, exhaust, prop, gearbox, wiring, fuel, eng/g box mountings, cooling, etc etc.
Your best bet is to check out a ST and have a measure up and see whats where, what box are you using? get some measurements and then spend some time measuring up against your Viva, while the engine may fit with little or no chopping its unlikely the box will fit with out a chop here and there.
Have you bought a Viva yet? if not i fear this may just be a pipe dream, however no harm in asking :D
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Johnson4130 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:34 pm

Thanks for the replies, I am aware of how much is required for an engine swap in a car, I am not approaching this flippantly I was just hoping to get a better idea of how well the engine would fit into the car. 1972nail, don't worry about me ruining a classic viva, I was planning on buying a viva that is scrap bound or in need of serious restoration and then use the body as a base for a largely new car. Rizzo, I have not purchased one yet but I have been looking for a project car of this type and I am very keen on the viva's so it looks likely even if it doesn't end up being a big engine swap job.
Johnson4130
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:29 am

No, I wasn't concerned about ruining a classic Viva, in fact I've been accused of that myself with my Firenza. On a first post about engine swaps it's impossible to know the abilities, knowledge, understanding and determination of the poster, so I was only stating the obvious problems that can mean a nice project car quickly turns into a pile of scrap bits.

As Rizzo says, make sure that your plan can be completed within your budget, timescale and abilities before starting.

I personally would like to build my self a 'more modern' Viva HC with something like a small turbo diesel engine producing about 80-100bhp. Should go well enough, be economical and the original axle, suspension and brakes should just about handle it OK with a few minor upgrades. :)

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Johnson4130 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:40 pm

Haha, ok. I have to admit i have never taken on anything as big as an engine swap in a car but i work as a maintenance engineer, do a lot of maintenance on my current car ( a Peugeot 106 GTI which breaks down all the bloody time) and i am pretty skilled at welding and metal work so i feel pretty confident to take the project on and you have to lean somehow right? i also have friends and family who have done engine swaps and more on cars so i can call them in if i get stuck.
As to budget, i am not sure what the budget is likely to be yet, i am planning on buying an insurance write off Mondeo from copart.com to recover the engine, gearbox, diff and possibly more to transplant into the Viva. i would then sell off the rest of the car in bits to make the money back. also planning on buying a viva in poor condition as i said so under £1000 for that. i guess after that i would be happy to spend ~£4000 maybe more.
I can relate to what you said about a more modern viva, that is why i wanted to go for something like the mondeo engine, i am just more of a yob and want it to be powerful haha. Although stuff like Ford X-flows and older engines are easier to swap in i don't want to be dealing with carbs etc and also having to find bits for an obsolete engine.
Johnson4130
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:07 pm

My understanding is that a Mondeo is front wheel drive with a transversly mounted engine and gearbox, whereas the 1970's Viva is rear wheel drive with a longitudinally mounted engine and gearbox. From what you are saying about using engine, gearbox and diff from the Mondeo it would appear that you are considering a FWD conversion. Now that's a whole different level of engine swap!!!

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Johnson4130 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:31 pm

Ah yeah, for some reason i had it in my head that the ST220 was RWD, doh! so diff is out but i think the engine is still a good candidate as it is an all ally unit so it shouldn't add much weight to the front of the car
Johnson4130
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:38 pm

Have a look through some of the f@#d forums and see if anyone there has done the swap into a RWD Crapee or MK1 or MK2. You might get a better idea of what's involved.....then factor in that the parts to make it fit in a Viva aren't anywhere near as easy to find......

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Johnson4130 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:16 pm

Take it you are not a big ford fan then? :P yeah thanks for the advice I will have a look. Have you heard of anyone doing swaps with other similar size and modern engines? From the research I have done most suggestions I am getting are for older engines and some 4 pot stuff. I am really looking for something v6 because i am a tart and want a v6 for the noise/ cool factor. I also wouldn't rule out a v8 but it would have to be quite a compact unit of light weight because I don't want to add much weight up front or have an epic job trying to fit the engine in.
Johnson4130
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Next

Return to Modifications