Will an HC engine fit into an HA?

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Will an HC engine fit into an HA?

Postby spaceman41 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:22 am

Hi folks,I've been offered an HC 1256 engine and box.Will it fit into my HA please?.Or am I wasting time money and effort?.Best regards,Spaceman
spaceman41
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Will an HC engine fit into an HA?

Postby viva boy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:21 am

I'm pretty sure it will fit :D
Vivas seem to be highly addictive,
got an Estate
Now have a Coupe
now on the lookout for a Saloon
viva boy
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lord13 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:27 am

It will fit, use the HA box though as it is shorter than the HC unit.
Basically, swap your engine mounts from the HA Engine to the HC engine, unbolt it from the gearbox and whip it out, check your clutch diameter and splines on the friction plate, you may need to use the HA clutch assembly ...maybe even swap the flywheel over, but possibly not. bolt up the HC lump to the HA box and away you go.
And now would be the time to junk that old voltage regulator and dynamo ( if you have them still fitted ) in favour of an alternator, simple swap, junk the *Bleep* old stuff, check online for correct placement of cables and connect it up. much better charging system, and much more reliable.
hope this helps
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby spaceman41 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:39 pm

Cheers Lloyd :)that's great !!.I might only gain a little bit of power but I'm going to get the head worked as best and close to a Brabham Gts as possible!?.Also add twin carbs and a 4 branch exhaust system.Any other mods you can think of to raise the power a bit?.Could the engine handle a turbo of some sort?.Best regards,Spaceman
spaceman41
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby hbpeter » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:52 pm

Several people have attempted a turbo OHV, not much joy. The bottom end isnt really strong enough. The standard 1256 cam is pretty good for normal road use. Twin Brabham carbs dont give much increase. Better off just making sure the head is ported, possibly bigger valves if you can find them. Match manifolds to head. Decent exhaust system and manifold. For road use a 175CD carb suitably jetted will be more than good enough. Elec ignition. Alternator instead of dynamo. Good quality airfilter.

http://www.vauxhallclassics.co.uk/

Try that site and look for the story of Marvin, a rather quick HA with a well tunned 1159cc engine.

Remember that if you build a mega HP engine the HA box and axle break quite easily!

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby spaceman41 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:32 pm

Thanks for the information Peter :).I shall look at the link too.I've heard the boxes and axles are a little bit weak so maybe one day go down the avenue of upgrading but for now leave as is.Happy motoring :D
spaceman41
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby hbpeter » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:01 pm

Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby spaceman41 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:44 am

Thanks again Peter :)what a great little car and good for list of the specifications !!.Not sure I will go bad far as that but definately will get the head worked on .They're surprisingly nippy responsive cars with nice close gears :).Looking forward to dropping the bigger motor in soon.Will keep you posted on here and do some pictures and post to site and there could well be a 1057cc engine for sale after its done and an HC Gearbox if anyone needs them ;).Best regards,Spaceman
spaceman41
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Modifications