weber 32/36 dgav on 1256 ?

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

weber 32/36 dgav on 1256 ?

Postby jamezz666 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:24 pm

Hello everyone

just purchased an inlet with a 32/36 weber dgav, just wondered if anyone has ever used that carb and if it worked ok plus if you gained much more power out of the engine?

plan is to keep my one viva hb standard and my other hb slightly modified. I picked up a book from ebay "Tuning Vivas" and there's a lot of good information about porting the 1157/1256 cylinder head, so for the future i got my eyes on knocking the bhp up :)

not looking to do any engine transplants as i would like to stick with period modifications, even if i don't gain all to much.

any information would help even if you have advice on porting the head.

thanks
James
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: weber 32/36 dgav on 1256 ?

Postby 1972nail » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:35 pm

The Weber conversion is OK but not the most economical way to gain about 4-5 BHP! Blydenstien developed a 175CD Stronberg conversion for the Chevette which gave as much BHP increase, better torque and better MPG.

I copied that on a Viva 1256 I had back in the 70's but with my own twist. I had a 28/36DCD on my Viva but being an experimenter I opened out the standard Stromberg manifold and fitted a 1 3/4 SU from a 1300 Marina - far better and easier to keep in tune that the Weber and better MPG to boot. :D

Removing the front box from the exhaust and fitting a straight through one of the same size and shape as the original just before the axle makes a lovely sound and probably gains 1/2 BHP and it's not too loud from memory. You can up the pipe size, but not too big, about 1 3/4 inch is the max on a small engine.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Re: weber 32/36 dgav on 1256 ?

Postby jamezz666 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:21 pm

One of the chaps on here who i picked my 2nd hb up off, he had mentioned a 175cd which sounds fun but i could barely find any information on it :( just seems to be impossible to find the parts :cry: I just guess once the weber is set up properly, i'm just going to have to modify the foot pedal by nailing a chock of wood behind it, to prevent my foot turning to the heavy side :lol:

I'm very curious as again, the guy who i picked the 2nd hb up off, he mentioned a weber 28/36 and it made me wonder... Does it make a difference in me having a 32/36 over a 28/36 as i couldn't actually find information on the 32/36 only the 28/36 conversion... would the bigger 32 effect it in any way?
You sure do sound like you was an experimenter.. your last name wouldn't happen to be blydenstein would it :wink: if so may i request you fiddle my engine to an impossible 120bhp :lol:

nice touch with the SU.. never thought of that :D

I think what i'll do is that your advice with removing the front box, as it's already rotted out and then fit a straight pipe, but to the same diameter :)
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Modifications