175/75R13 onto Standard HC steel rims

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Re: 175/75R13 onto Standard HC steel rims

Postby VampireTigger » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:53 pm

Will I have any issues putting these on and what tyre size should I use? I know, not original but they are supposed to be Droop Snoot alloys so are thus period(ish) correct and a Vauxhall wheel instead of something generic like minilites. Also, any advice on wheel nuts. Thanks

Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:33 pm

Tyres for the Avon Safety wheel are 185/70x13. They will probably touch the front lower corner of your wings and front valance so that will need trimmed back about an inch. They may also foul the floor/ bulkhead panel in the wheel well and it may need tapped back with a hammer.

Did you get the wheel nuts with them? The nuts are a special French designed and patented 'Amil Rues' safety nut with a double tapered washer which does not need a spiggot ring to centralise the wheel. Standard 7/16th chrome nuts may hold the wheel on but do not grip enough thread to be safe and the taper is different so won't grip properly unless torqued up enough to stretch the studs!

You will have trouble getting them balanced properly too. The centre hole is too small a diameter to fit on most modern machines.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby VampireTigger » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:47 am

Time to go hunting for the correct nuts then!

(Any clues greatly appreciated)
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:19 am

I probably could gather together a set but they will definitely need chromed and will take a week ot two.

If you place a wanted ad to social media you will get recommendations to use RS 2000 Mk1 wheel nuts with assurances that they work fine.... Those a definitely not the same and only grip about 50% of the thread amongst other things, but it's up to you to decide if they will do.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby VampireTigger » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:06 am

1972nail wrote:I probably could gather together a set but they will definitely need chromed and will take a week ot two.

If you place a wanted ad to social media you will get recommendations to use RS 2000 Mk1 wheel nuts with assurances that they work fine.... Those a definitely not the same and only grip about 50% of the thread amongst other things, but it's up to you to decide if they will do.

If you can put a set together sounds like it will save me a lot of trouble finding some so I'd appreciate it if you could and happy to pay you for them. You guys here know the cars so happy to take your advice, last thing I want is a wheel falling off. It's scary enough when it has happened on my Land-Rover in the past, the damage to the Viva would be far worse plus the potential damage to others from the lost wheel is too frightening to consider.

The car is going to Tomorrow's Classics in Bristol to have the wing sorted, Nick should be able to arrange re-chroming too of the nuts.

Thanks
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby VampireTigger » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:10 am

Having checked around a bit more, it would appear I can fit 175/70r13 onto these 6Js which give the normal rolling height so should not have the issues mentioned of potential tyre rub against the body. I'm familiar with the issue, have big muds on my Land-Rovers and the lock stops adjusted to prevent the tyres rubbing the suspension arms.
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby VampireTigger » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Stuart Anderson from the Droop Snoot Group has been very helpful, he's supplying a set of new nuts with the correct washers. :thanx: to those who said they'd dig through their stock for me.
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:16 pm

That's good news as the set I've tracing have already been promised by the owner to someone else. I think you'll find that Stuart is very helpful and will always try to help you out, but he trades as Magard Sport rather working in direct relationship with the DSG. Unlike the VVOC the DSG do not have a club spares programme.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby lord13 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:26 am

Remember to remove the little bolt that holds your rear drums in position other wise the wheel will not sit flush . . .
Although, looking at your pic, that little recess under the 'made in belgium' stamp on the mating face, the one with '74' in it, could that be for the little bolt to sit in?
Also, are these definitely droopsnoot Avons? As chevette Avons won't fit due to the 100mm pcd.

If i'm incorrect I'm sure someone will let me know :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby VampireTigger » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:00 am

They were sold as 4" and I have been told they are right but I deliberately posted a pic of the back with the part number so someone more knowledgeable could confirm they were right or that I'd made a mistake.
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications