Getrag 235 conversion Magnum

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Getrag 235 conversion Magnum

Postby MAGNUM 2300 » Wed May 02, 2007 7:14 pm

Well, the gearbox conversion is slowly getting forward. I collected the rebuilt prop today. Hmmm.... a new front joint and balancing cost me over £400. Anyway the box, prop and mount are test fitted today and it seems nice. Now I need to make a new speedo cable and get my hands on a clutch.

New remade gearbox mount:

Almost everything in place:

Yes mr.Bottomley, here's my famous icehockey pucks...:

I had to relocate the handbrake lever to get 1st 3rd and 5th in. And also make a new hole in the tunnel further back for the gear shifter.

Last edited by MAGNUM 2300 on Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why fight for a ball when we can play with cars..?!!
MAGNUM 2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lambaj » Thu May 03, 2007 7:24 am

HI

Shame I can't see the pictures...... Probably my end rather than the web. Only posting to say GOOD GRIEF!!!! £400 for a new joint and a balance!!!! That is outrageous! I had a complete 2 piece prop rebuilt, all 3 joints and a balance for £120. Now I appreciate that my prop was a common ford, so either somebody is making a lot of money, or the joint for a Getrag box costs £300! Please tell us who to avoid, or why that was so expensive.

Good luck with the conversion

Tony (HA21)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Clara » Thu May 03, 2007 7:34 am

lambaj wrote: Please tell us who to avoid, or why that was so expensive.

Avoid Norway :wink:

Looking good dear sir!
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby MAGNUM 2300 » Thu May 03, 2007 4:12 pm

Clara wrote:
lambaj wrote: Please tell us who to avoid, or why that was so expensive.

Avoid Norway :wink:

Looking good dear sir!

Please don't avoid Norway. Only bring functional cars here!! :lol:
MAGNUM 2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby retrocarclub » Tue May 22, 2007 9:36 am

Thanks for pointing me here, I need to make a similar gearbox mount up for my 16v Viva. £400!! Wow, Norway must be expensive... I had a Carlton prop modified with a Viva 2.3 rear prop flange and a new centre bearing and balanced for £60.. and it was in the South East too!! :shock:
retrocarclub
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby MAGNUM 2300 » Tue May 22, 2007 5:34 pm

retrocarclub wrote:Thanks for pointing me here, I need to make a similar gearbox mount up for my 16v Viva. £400!! Wow, Norway must be expensive... I had a Carlton prop modified with a Viva 2.3 rear prop flange and a new centre bearing and balanced for £60.. and it was in the South East too!! :shock:

Please dont tell me such prices..... :cry: :lol:
MAGNUM 2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby MAGNUM 2300 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:21 pm

The Getrag is ready to fit:

In place:

The worst part was getting a Chevette HS clutch, but luckily a complete, new unit turned up on eBay. I had to adjust the "tappet" which the lever sits on to get the clutch to release.
MAGNUM 2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby MAGNUM 2300 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:37 pm

As the gearlever on the Getrag is mounted app. 13 cm. further back than the standard gearbox I had to make a new hole in the tunnel and weld in the old one:

I first tried to tilt the handbrake lever towards the passenger side to make space for the gearlever. This would worked but as I fit new Recaros slightly more inwards than the standard seats there will be no room for the lever. I cut out a part of the tunnel and moved it app. 13 cm. back and welded in a new piece in front of it. You can tell by the sealant:

MAGNUM 2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby dbltrbl » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:32 pm

If someone is planning samekind of conversion it is also easy to relocate Getrak gearlever by shortening the rod from gearbox to lever. Just cut + weld together job, this may give enough room so one does not have to alter handbrake assembly.

kristian
dbltrbl
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Getrag 235 conversion Magnum

Postby MAGNUM 2300 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:13 am

MAGNUM 2300 wrote:I had to relocate the handbrake lever to get 1st 3rd and 5th in. And also make a new hole in the tunnel further back for the gear shifter.

When using the 235 box you have to relocate the position of the gearbox lever. As you can see by the above picture, the old hole is full of gearbox. With the way you describe you still have to locate the gearbox lever further back, but you might not have to move the handbrake. Depends on the gearbox lever angle. Mine is angled backwards so I can reach it. :lol:
MAGNUM 2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Modifications