A few questions...

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

A few questions...

Postby Gray » Tue May 15, 2007 10:33 am

Hallo folks.

Im about to start chopping about a 1977 GLS.
Its mostly engine work as i just bought a Manta 2 litre gte engine and box for it. Anyone here done this mod?
Engine mounts and general modifications dont worry me to much (im a steel fabricator to trade) but wiring does so I want rid of the fuel injection and want to use carbs, is this fairly staightforward? If so what carb is best suited, im thinking twin 40's as they are fairly common.
Cooling, what is the best radiator to put in there, or more to the point, whats the biggest one I'll get away with?

And now the scary one... How much of the original loom is usable, some have said its a straightforward hook it all together and some say its new loom territory :?

Any thoughts/ advice greatly appreciated :D
Gray
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby xwv2300 » Tue May 15, 2007 10:55 am

Hi should fit in ok, and if you dumping the injection i would think most of the viva loom should be useable all you basicly need is feed to starter motor and coil, alternater conections, wire to temp sender, and earths.
mark all your wires as to where they go on your viva engine then when the manta units in ( without injection) see if the wiring fits, you may have to lengthen some or change fittings but cant see a major difference .
will the manta rad fit??
xwv2300
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Gray » Thu May 17, 2007 9:43 pm

Good news on the wiring front :lol:

Im not sure about the manta rad, I dont have one to measure up with and the engine and box are already out of the car and the car scrapped.
My mate in Manchester has the engine and is taking it down (im in dover) on the bank holiday weekend so then battle commences :lol:
Gray
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby bodyworx » Fri May 18, 2007 9:56 am

I used to run a v8 Manta and used the original Manta radiator, it actually held more water than the SD1 donor car i used way back then.
SO I would guess, a 2,3 Firenza/Magnum rad should be sufficient although Ive never worked out the capacities of one so dont quote me as gospel,
Carlton/ Omega/ rads should do as well,( trip to the scrap yard!)
bodyworx
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby retrocarclub » Mon May 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Sierra radiators fit remarkably well too. Thats what i'm using in my 16v Viva.
retrocarclub
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Modifications