Tyre pressure question

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Tyre pressure question

Postby Kat » Thu May 31, 2007 2:14 am

Can anyone suggest what pressures I should shove in the 185/60 tyres on the HC estate?

As it arrived, they were randomly between 15 and 25 psi. I've now got 26 at the front and 28 at the back.

Admittedly, the rear suspension's in desperate need of attention, but I'm not sure the tyre pressures are "right" yet. I just feel that some of the movement is in the tyres.

The verdict from being followed for a few miles was that the rears are squidging around, hence I think the pressure still needs nudging up a bit.

To be honest, I think 185s are a bit much; I was happy enough with the grip and handling of the 155s I had on the 4-door. The steering at low speed wasn't a strain for me, either. So, when they're up for replacement I'm likely to drop down a size or two, probably on the front first. Wasn't 165 standard fitment on Rostyles?

In the meantime, suggestions for pressures for 185/60s on Rostyles on an OHV HC estate would be appreciated. :)
Kat.
Kat
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby lambaj » Thu May 31, 2007 7:20 am

15 to 25 is too low!
I would suggest about 32psi on the front and 30 in the rear as a starter. This will reduce scrub some on the front and easy up the steering a fair bit too.
Others members with HC's can give a more experienced answer, but these values will not be too far off.
Tony (HA21)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Kat » Thu May 31, 2007 4:06 pm

lambaj wrote:15 to 25 is too low!

Indeed, it'd been stood for ages before I got it and it's anybody's guess when they were last checked. It wasn't ever driven like this, it arrived on a trailer.

The Book of Myths and Legends has little to say on alternative tyre sizes but suggested 24 all round for 155s. That still left the sidewalls bulging rather a lot so I went a bit higher - 26 front, 30 rear.

lambaj wrote:I would suggest about 32psi on the front and 30 in the rear as a starter. This will reduce scrub some on the front and easy up the steering a fair bit too.

The rears are already at 30 and they've been seen to show a lot of sidewall movement (and I wasn't exactly throwing the car around.) That suggests 30 isn't enough.
Kat.
Kat
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Modifications