Renault 11 oblong headlights to snoot light boxes

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Postby Jon-HPF » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:28 pm

Used a jigsaw to cut out the s/steel backing plates - but had to screw the sheet to some plyboard and cut through the steel and ply - this stopped the blade bending the steel :lol:
Jon
"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:26 pm

Just a thought :D - Didnt the Delorean use Renault parts? and wasnt it out around the same time as the Renault 11 ? - Those headlights look very familiar !

Now - how can i get my doors to flip up like that :wink:
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Po79 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:34 pm

Just got some prices back on Renault 11 headlight units.....

Are you ready for this......

£240 LH and £250 RH!!!!!!!

Anyone out there had any better quotes?

Looks like I'm going back to my original idea of using round headlights.

Po.
Po79
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:59 am

There's a Cibie "classic" lamp that can be made to fit reasonably easily, the Cibie R180. The link I have to someone that sells them here is www.cars-gb.com but their site seems to be down at the moment.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Jon-HPF » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:03 am

Po - Thats not cheap ! - im trying to find out the availability and price on the ones Mike mentioned above as i believe these to be the ones that Phil Hardy has got fitted - having no luck at present - but if they are more than £50 each then i will probably end up using the ones from an isuzu truck or nissan vannette . Ive looked on ebay for R11 units - no joy
As i said - they fit and adjust from the front - but im sure they can be "adapted" for the snoot box. They also seem to very available - just a case of identifying what they are and searching ebay & scrap yards etc .
IMO 4 round lights dont look that good and you will probably end up with more work in getting the circular profiles fabricated into the boxes than just cutting out the corners , plus they also adjust from front (if using magnum units) .
Although i already have the R11 's fitted , im aware that they are just as hard to come by as the original cibies - so i will be trying to source a cheap set (as fitted to this nissan vannette) so i can play about with them and see how they look / fit into the boxes. :wink:

Jon
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Po79 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:23 pm

Cheers Mike and Jon,

I went off the idea of round lights until I saw this http://droopsnootgroup.yuku.com/topic/3966 the other day and though it suited the car. I know it'll be alot of work but with the expense of other square lights and my time being free it kinda makes sense to use round lights.

I was thinking of using two sets of bike lights like these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

or something along those lines.

But also saw these lights on the bay and though something could be done with them

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-T3-T25-SQUARE- ... 2ea8a70c6e

I'll make my mind up one day and actually do something instead of talking about it :lol:

Po.
Po79
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:44 pm

Po - it all adds fuel to the fire :twisted: The twin round lights work ok on a magard snoot because of the greater hight of the light boxes - i contemplated using the VW ones (4 of the inner square ones) in the magard snoot i had previously fitted) - but ended up with a full set of vx/490 square lamps . The trouble with these is they dont fit at all in the proper snoot boxes cos of their height.
I have seen some smaller square ones fitted to some alfa's - the ones with 3 headlamps on each side - but cant remember what model their on!
These alfa lights appear to be the right height , and 3 on each side would fill the snoot box and look a little different 8) .
Again - this would be another alternative to consider! - just need to know what sodding alfa they were fitted to :?
Jon
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:10 am

Is it this one?

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... o_SZ_3.jpg

Short run, according to Wikipedia only 1350 were made between 1989 and 1991. So probably not so easy to find.

Also look at the Maserati Biturbo, the Carello lights on the front on that are quite similar. But not the same, unfortunately.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Jon-HPF » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:54 pm

Thanks Mike :D - Yes thats it - and based on the info you supplied , i dont think there will be too many of these lying around the scrappies.
Even if i could source a full set , i think they will a touch on the expensive side :cry:
Cheers - Jon
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby bulldog » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:43 pm

how about these mini metro mk1 lights these was small ish and round on the corners ? i know you will have 4 hi beam and low beam but it will fill the gap
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Metro-Mini-Rover- ... 588402672e
then there fiat 126 lights?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fiat-126-RHD-righ ... 20add077a6
mike

1972 firenza 2000 sl turbo
1969 HB 1159 2 door deluxe [Fungus]
1968 HB 1159 2 door sl90
hc 325
bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext