Digital speedo into 7 dial dash.

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Digital speedo into 7 dial dash.

Postby Jon-HPF » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:13 pm

As the Suzuki box has no speedo drive unit - i have to go down the electronic route with a sensor . I wanted to try and keep the dials in the dash all the same. Bought a Racetech speedo 80mm and dismantled the glass front and bezel then cut the unit back to accept the viva dial face.
A test of nerves cutting up an £80 speedo !

Had to use the black backing plate from a spare clock (rev counter the same) as this has no holes to show the miles and trip . Then cut out a new section to allow the milometer to show through the plate . Also had to scratch of the KPH letters from the viva dial in order to see the milometer!

New unit now in place . Havent fitted the needle yet - want to use the viva one but the spindle is a smaller diameter so will have to adapt the new one and fix the viva needle to that .

Cut out a section of the rear of the 7 dial binnacle to allow new speedo to fit.

Speedo in place - note the adjustment knob which fits niceley in the centre where the mechanical speedo unit used to be . Should give me good access if it needs adjusting .
"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby frankengeep » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:38 pm

Nice trick Jon, a cunning stunt 8) .

Boyd :)
Please don't sell me a Viva. I'll just ruin it.
2.6L Frankengeep, C22o cdi, 230 te
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii24 ... re%20jeep/
frankengeep
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:47 pm

Cupid Stunt even , All done in the best possible taste :D
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby grandas_shed » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:18 am

i didnt know you could ajust a new type speedo.
the clock on my cresta says im doing 38 when im doing 30.
i must look into the modern speedo`s.

can you give any more info on the one you bought.

:idea:
grandas_shed
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:09 pm

Yes you can adjust them with the potenciomter knob at the back of the speedo , but these are for sensor type pick ups not the mechanical speedo drives from gearboxes - allthough you can get electronic sensors that replace the manual gearbox drive- but probably not for our cars :cry: The adjustment is to ensure the correct speed is shown .

I plan to make a disc out of steel (needs to be magnetic as the sensor is a magnetic one) . The disc will sit between the nearside rear wheel to hub and have slots cut out of the end - similar to a cog. then i need to make a bracket and weld this to the back plate so i can mount the magnetic sensor (this has to be less than 2mm from the disc) .
Obviously the adjustment at the back of the speedo is to allow correct reading on the dial - cos there aint any specifications for the pick up disc - just make one up to suit the car ! Then ajust at the speedo - simple , I hope!

Most mechanical speedos are about 10% out so i wouldnt worry about it , im only doing this cos i got no other way (apart from a sat nav) of showing the speed - but i also need a milometer to show the cars mileage (mainly for limited miles insurance etc) - so this was the only option open to me - dont bother if you dont really need to , cos its damn expensive and very time consuming!
Jon
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby frankengeep » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:44 pm

How did the Zuk speedo work Jon?

You say there is no speedo cable so was it electronic and is the sensor still available or in part of the running gear you are not using?

They after market sensors are a ball@@@e. Whether the glue to propshaft magnets type or the toothed wheel type. :x

The only success I had with my kit was to use one of the ABS sensors on a temp basis just to confirm the speedo was working.

Had me kicking the garage walls at one point. After spending ages making and fitting a toothed wheel and fitting it at the gearbox end of the propshaft, it lasted 5 mins. :oops: Long story but propshaft donuts allow movement, enough th kill a static/fixed sensor :roll: .

Boyd :)
Please don't sell me a Viva. I'll just ruin it.
2.6L Frankengeep, C22o cdi, 230 te
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii24 ... re%20jeep/
frankengeep
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:53 pm

Boyd , the Suzuki took a manual drive from the transfer box not the gearbox . With regards the sensor fitment , i am aware they are not the most robust, and it needs to be within 2mm of the toothed plate - so any movement of the plate or if one of the teeth is slightly out of line would probably hit the sensor and kill it!
As mentioned earlier in this thread , my plan is to sandwich a home made sensor disc between the rear wheel and hub - at least it shouldnt move if the wheel is correctly tightened :)
At present , ive got a 1256 rear axle so the distance between outer edge of hub and inner wheel is quite adequate , but i plan to fit an 1800 ohc axle which has the larger diameter hubs so i will be a bit pushed for space - so will have to ensure my measurements are spot on :?

Just finished the dials- painted each needle in white , managed to graft on the viva speedo needle onto the racetech centre spindle .
Also converted the clock to run off one of those 1.5v electric clocks

Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby mazzo » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:51 pm

That's exactly what I did with my clock! Works a treat as long as the battery doesn't fall out when you go over bumps :oops:

Looking good - as usual :)
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:00 pm

Point taken Mazzo - i will have to devise a home made retaining device to ensure that doesnt happen (Gaffa tape) :D
Cheers - Jon
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby grandas_shed » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:58 am

Jon-HPF wrote:I plan to make a disc out of steel (needs to be magnetic as the sensor is a magnetic one) Jon

judt a thought but could the magnetic number plates be used to make the plate, or even part of the plate.
light weight and easy to shape and glue.
grandas_shed
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to Modifications